From Boring to Intriguing: Personal Perspective on Making Education About Standardization Appealing to Students
- 449 Downloads
In this chapter the author shares his initiatives and methods in education about standardization, enlists concepts and relevant bodies of knowledge related to standardization, and identifies challenges and opportunities for education about standardization in the fields of Informatics and Information Systems, and Organizational Management Studies. The chapter ends with the author’s projections on the emerging topics about standardization and recommendations for developing an online repository of teaching materials for education on standardization.
KeywordsPersonal perspective Education about standardization Intriguing strategy Teaching method Inter-disciplinary perspective Informatics Organizational management
- Barlette, Y., & Fomin, V. V. (2008). Exploring the suitability of IS security management standards for SMEs (pp. 1–10). Hawaii: IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/HICSS.2008.167.
- Barlette, Y., & Fomin, V. V. (2009). The adoption of information security management standards: A literature review. In Cyber-security and global information assurance: Threat analysis and response solutions (pp. 119–140). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. Retrieved from http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/adoption-information-security-management-standards/7413.
- Bousquet, F., Fomin, V. V., & Drillon, D. (2009). Standardization: A major tool for competitive intelligence (pp. 27–36). Cergy, France: Wissenschaftsverlag Mainz in Aachen.Google Scholar
- de Vaujany, F.-X., Fomin, V. V., Lyytinen, K., & Haefliger, S. (2018). Research commentary—Rules, practices and information technology (IT): A trifecta of organizational regulation. Information Systems Research (in print).Google Scholar
- de Vries, H. J., Fomin, V., & Dul, J. (2009). International standardization in a multi-stakeholder environment—How a stakeholder can pursue influence. Barcelona, Spain.Google Scholar
- Edwards, P. N. (2003). Infrastructure and modernity: Force, time, and social organization in the history of sociotechnical systems. In Modernity and technology (pp. 185–226). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Egyedi, T. M. (2007). IEC lecture series: The importance of standards. Geneva: IEC, CD-ROM.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2013). Cyber-physical systems: Uplifting Europe’s innovation capacity (https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/cyber-physical-systems-1). Unit A3-DG CONNECT, Communications Networks, Content & Technology Directorate-General.
- Farrell, J, & Saloner, G. (1987). Competition, compatibility and standards. In Product standardization and competitive strategy. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Folmer, E., & Verhoosel, J. (2011). State of the art on semantic IS standardization, interoperability and quality. Retrieved from www.semanticstandards.org.
- Fomin, V. V., & Keil, T. (2000). Standardization: Bridging the gap between economic and social theory (Vol. Paper 20, pp. 206–217). Brisbane, Australia: AIS. Retrieved from http://aisel.aisnet.org/icis2000/20.
- Funk, J. L. (2000, September 26–27). The mobile internet market: Lessons from Japan’s i-mode system. Presented at the E-Business Transformation: Sector Developments and Policy Implications, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Funk, J. L. (2002). Global competition between and within standards. The case of mobile phones. Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Iversen, E. (1999). Standardization and intellectual property rights: ETSI’s controversial search for new IPR-procedures. Presented at the IEEE Conference on Standardisation and Innovation in Information Technology, Aachen, Germany. Retrieved from https://eprints.utas.edu.au/1297/1/Iversen_ETSI_2OO2.pdf.
- Katz, M. L., & Shapiro, C. (1985). Network externalities, competition, and compatibility. American Economic Review, 75, 424–440.Google Scholar
- Kwak, J., Lee, H., & Fomin, V. V. (2011). The governmental coordination of conflicting interests in standardisation: Case studies of indigenous ICT standards in China and South Korea. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 23(7), 789–806. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537325.2011.592285.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McKinsey. (2015). Industry 4.0: How to navigate digitization of the manufacturing sector. McKinsey & Company. Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.de/files/mck_industry_40_report.pdf.
- OECD. (1999). Regulatory reform and international standardization (Working Party of the Trade Committee No. TD/TC/WP(98)36/FINAL). Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Retrieved from https://www.oecd.org/tad/benefitlib/1955309.pdf.
- Pedersen, M. K., Fomin, V. V., & de Vries, H. J. (2009). The open standards and government policy. In ICT standardization for E-business sectors: Integrating supply and demand factors (pp. 188–199). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. Retrieved from http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/information-communication-technology-standardization-business/22931.
- Reuters Staff. (2017, February 16). European parliament calls for robot law, rejects robot tax. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-robots-lawmaking/european-parliament-calls-for-robot-law-rejects-robot-tax-idUSKBN15V2KM.
- Schmidt, S. K., & Werle, R. (1998). Coordinating technology. Studies in the international standardization of telecommunications. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Schoitsch, E., & Niehaus, J. (2017). Strategic agenda on standardization for cyber-physical systems. CP-SETIS. Retrieved from ISBN 978-90-817213-3-2.Google Scholar
- Su, J., & Fomin, V. V. (2010). Balancing public and private interests in ICT standardization: The case of AVS codec. In What kind of information society? Governance, virtuality, surveillance, sustainability, resilience, IFIP Series (Vol. 328/2010, pp. 64–72). Springer. Retrieved from http://www.springerlink.com/content/q4wrv42046743876/.
- Suttmeier, R., & Yao, X. (2004). China’s post-WTO technology policy: Standards, software, and changing nature of techno-nationalism (No. Special Report No. 7). The National Bureau of Asian Research. Retrieved from http://www.nbr.org/publications/issue.aspx?ID=126.
- Updegrove, A. (2007a). Government policy and “standards—based neo-colonialism.” Standards Today. A Journal of News, Ideas and Analysis, VI, 1–9.Google Scholar
- Updegrove, A. (2007b). It’s time for IPR equal opportunity in international standard setting. Standards Today. A Journal of News, Ideas and Analysis, VI, 1–3.Google Scholar
- West, J., & Fomin, V. V. (2001). When government inherently matters: National innovation systems in the mobile telephony industry, 1946–2000. Presented at the Academy of Management annual meeting, Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://aom.org/Meetings/annualmeeting/Past-Annual-Meetings.aspx.