- 147 Downloads
Incorporation of minor elements in mantle phases was previously studied on a qualitative level, although even small portions of them may have a certain impact on the PT-parameters of phase transitions. One of such elements is chromium, which is characterized by the low bulk concentrations in the Earth’s mantle (0.42 wt % Cr2O3); however, some mantle phases (garnet, chrome-spinel, etc.) show very high contents of chromium. To solve the problem of the interphase chromium component partitioning in the Earth’s mantle, we report our data on the experimental study of the SiO2–MgO–Cr2O3 model system and related multicomponent systems at pressures and temperatures corresponding to a wide range of mantle conditions.
We would like to thank Professor Tetsuo Irifune for collaboration and providing facilities for high-pressure experimental studies at the Geodynamics Research Center, Ehime University. We are grateful to our colleagues A. A. Bendeliani, E. Bykova, L. S. Dubrovinsky, V. K. Garanin, L. S. Ismailova, Yu. A. Litvin, S. Ovsyannikov, D. Yu. Pushcharovsky, O. G. Safonov, A. V. Spivak, and A. P. Tamarova for fruitful discussions, comments, and help in the work.
Preparation of this book was supported by the Russian Science Foundation, project no. 17-17-01169.
- Agee CB (1998) Phase transformations and seismic structure in the upper mantle and transition zone. In: Hemley RJ (ed) Reviews in mineralogy. Ultrahigh-pressure mineralogy: physics and chemistry of the Earth’s interior, Mineralogical Society of America. Washington, DC 37: 165–203Google Scholar
- Akaogi M (2007) Phase transitions of minerals in the transition zone and upper part of the lower mantle, vol 421 (Special papers). Geological Society of America, pp 1–13Google Scholar
- Andrault D (2007) Properties of lower-mantle Al-(Mg,Fe)SiO3 perovskite, vol 421 (Special papers). Geological Society of America, pp 5–36Google Scholar
- Harte B, Harris JW, Hutchison MT, Watt GR, Wilding MC (1999) Lower mantle mineral associations in diamonds from Sao Luiz, Brazil. Mantle Petrol: Field Observations and High Pressure Experimentation: a tribute to Francis R (Joe) Boyd (The Geochemical Society, Houston) 6: 125–153Google Scholar
- Hirose K (2002) Phase transitions in pyrolitic mantle around 670-km depth: implications for upwelling of plumes from the lower mantle. J Geophys Res, vol 107Google Scholar
- Ringwood AE (1966) The chemical composition and origin of the Earth. In: Hurley PM (ed) Advances in Earth science. M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, pp 287–356Google Scholar
- Sobolev NV (1977) Deep-seated inclusions in kimberlites and the problem of the composition of the upper mantle. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, p 279Google Scholar