Iraq and the Kurds: What Threats to European Stability?
- 146 Downloads
The chapter examines European conceptions of threat emanating from Iraq, with a particular focus on the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG). It looks at Turkey’s recent role in Northern Iraq from the mid-2000s onwards and up until the 2017 referendum, while also examining regional cooperation from the perspectives of the US, the European Union (EU) and Russia. It looks at the EU’s new development role and economic support inside of Iraq and the KRG, including the importance of migration, de-radicalisation, energy projects and local alliances. The research is supported by secondary legal literature on trade agreements and interviews with EU and Turkish policymakers, including Kurdish political representatives from Iraq and Syria.
- Akbarzadeh, Shahram and Dara Conduit (eds), Iran in the World (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016), pp. 95–101.Google Scholar
- Ateş, Hazal, ‘Kuzey Irak’la ticareti uçuracak 4 hamle’, Sabah, 30 April 2016, available at: www.sabah.com.tr/ekonomi/2016/04/30/kuzey-irakla-ticareti-ucuraccak-4-hamle.
- Beck, John, ‘Iraqi soldiers fleeing ISIS claim they were “abandoned” by senior officials’, Vice News, 15 June 2014, available at: https://news.vice.com/article/iraqi-soldiers-fleeing-isis-claim-they-were-abandoned-by-senior-officers.
- Cagaptay, Soner, Christina Bache Fidan and Ege Cancu Sacikara, ‘Turkey and the KRG: an Undeclared economic commonwealth’, The Washington Institute Policy Analysis (2017).Google Scholar
- Connor, Phillip, ’Number of Refugees to Europe Surges to Record 1.3 Million in 2015’, Pew Research Center, 2 August 2016, available at: http://assets.pewresearch.org/wpcontent/uploads/sites/2/2016/08/14100940/Pew-Research-Center-Europe-Asylum-Report-FINAL-August-2-2016.pdf.
- Constitute, ‘Iraq’s Constitution of 2005’, Comparative Constitutions Project (2005), available at: https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/Iraq_2005.pdf?lang=en.
- EU-Iraq Partnership and Cooperation Agreement, Official Journal of the European Union, L204/20, 31 July 2012, available at: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:204:0020:0130:EN:PDF.
- Eurostat, ‘Asylum in the EU Member States’, 4 March 2016, available at: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/7203832/3-04032016-AP-EN.pdf/790eba01-381c-4163-bcd2-a54959b99ed6.
- Fidan, Christine Bache, ‘Turkish business in the Kurdistan region of Iraq’, Turkish Policy Quarter 14:4 (2016), pp. 117–126.Google Scholar
- Foreign Affairs Council, ‘Council of the European Union Conclusions on Iraq’, Annex 10197/17, 19 June 2017, available at: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/23995/st10197en17-conclusions-on-iraq.pdf.
- Fumerton, Mario and Wladimir Van Wilgenburg, ‘Kurdistan’s Political Armies: The challenge of unifying the Peshmerga forces’, Carnegie Endowment 16 (2015), pp. 2003–2005, available at: http://carnegieendowment.org/2015/12/16/kurdistan-s-political-armies-challenge-of-unifying-peshmerga-forces-pub-61917.
- Gunter, Michael M., The Kurds and the Future of Turkey (New York: St Martin’s Press, 1997).Google Scholar
- Hagopian, Amy, et al., ‘Mortality in Iraq Associated with the 2003–2011 War and Occupation: Findings from a National Cluster Sample Survey by the University Collaborative Iraq Mortality Study’, PLoS Medicine 10:10 (2013), pp. 1–15, available at: http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1001533.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hale, William, Turkish Foreign Policy since 1774 (London: Routledge, 2012), pp. 235–236.Google Scholar
- International Crisis Group, ‘Managing Turkey’s PKK Conflict: The Case of Nusaybin’, Europe Report 243, 2 May 2017, p. 4, available at: https://d2071andvip0wj.cloudfront.net/243-managing-turkey-s-pkk-conflict-the-case-of-nusaybin.pdf.
- Kirişci, Kemal, Nathalie Tocci and Joshua Walker, ‘A Neighbourhood Rediscovered: Turkey’s Transatlantic Value in the Middle East’, German Marshall Fund of the United States, Brussels Forum Paper Series (2010), available at: https://www.gmfus.org/file/2111/download.
- Kurdistan Regional Government, ‘Response to Statements made by Prime Minister of Iraq, Haider Al-Habadi’, KRG Council of Ministers, 17 February 2016, available at: http://cabinet.gov.krd/a/d.aspx?s=040000&l=12&a=54240.
- Laotides, Costas, ‘How Foreign Is the Kurdish Issue in Iran’s Foreign Policy’, in Shahram Akbarzadeh and Dara Conduit (eds) Iran in the World (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016), pp. 95–101.Google Scholar
- Mawji, Omar, ‘Iraqi Kurdistan’s Oil Industry & Autonomy’, Palisade Research (2016), p. 3.Google Scholar
- Milliyet, ‘HDP’ li Vekil Abdullah Zeydan: PKK sizi tükürüğüyle boğar’, 27 July 2015, available at: http://www.milliyet.com.tr/hdp-li-vekil-abdullah-zeydan-pkk/siyaset/detay/2093162/default.htm.
- Mills, Robin, ‘Under the Mountains: Kurdish Oil and Regional Politics’, The Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, OIES PAPER: WPM 63, January 2016.Google Scholar
- Nerguizian, Aram, ‘Turkish-Arab Economic and Military Cooperation: How Far Will it Go?’, Carnegie Endowment, December 2010, available at: http://carnegieendowment.org/sada/?fa=42145.
- OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights, ‘Republic of Turkey, Early Parliamentary Elections, 1 November 2015’, OSCE/ODIHR Limited Election Observation Mission Final Report, 28 January 2016.Google Scholar
- Poushter, Jacob, ’European opinions of the refugee crisis in 5 charts’, Facttank, Pew Research Center, 16 September 2016, available at: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/09/16/european-opinions-of-the-refugee-crisis-in-5-charts/.
- Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs, ’Turkey’s Energy Profile and Strategy’, available at: http://www.mfa.gov.tr/turkeys-energy-strategy.en.mfa, last accessed 3 June 2019.
- Republic of Turkey Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources, ’Oil Pipelines’, available at: https://www.enerji.gov.tr/en-US/Pages/Oil-Pipelines, last accessed 3 June 2019.
- Ross, Anthony C., Michael L. Hanse, Krishna B. Kumar, Howard J. Shatz and Georges Vernez, Building the future: Summary of four studies to develop the private sector, education, health care, and data for decision making for the Kurdistan Region – Iraq (RAND Corporation and Kurdistan Regional Government, 2012).Google Scholar
- Rudaw, ‘Referendum can be postponed only with guarantees on independence: Barzani’, 18 September 2017, available at: http://www.rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/1809201712.
- Salih Waisy, Krawan, ‘The roots of the Iraqi Kurdish internal rivalries, conflicts and peace process 1964–2000’, American International Journal of Research in Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences 10:3 (2015), pp. 220–232, available at: http://iasir.net/AIJRHASSpapers/AIJRHASS15-372.pdf.
- Tocci, Nathalie, ‘Turkey and the European Union: Scenarios for 2030’, Istituto Affari Internazionali, FEUTURE Background Paper (2016), pp. 5–10.Google Scholar
- UNHCR, ‘Forced Displacements in 2016’, UNHCR Refugee Agency, UNHCR GLOBAL TRENDS 2016, 19 June 2017, available at: http://www.unhcr.org/5943e8a34.pdf.
- United States Energy Information Administration, ’Iraq’, available at: https://www.eia.gov/beta/international/analysis.php?iso=IRQ, last accessed 3 June 2019.
- United States House of Representatives, ‘National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018’, House of Representative 115th Congress 1st Session, Conference Report to accompany H.R. 2810, November 2017a, available at: http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20171113/HRPT-115-HR2810.pdf.
- United States House of Representatives, ‘National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018’, House of Representative 115th Congress 1st Session, Chairman’s Mark, 23 June 2017b, available at: http://docs.house.gov/meetings/AS/AS00/20170628/106123/BILLS-115HR2810ih.pdf.
- United States Institute of Peace, Iran and Iraq. The Shia Connection, Soft Power, and the Nuclear Factor (Special Report 156, November 2005).Google Scholar