Security Challenges in Ukraine After Euromaidan
- 150 Downloads
The chapter assesses the security situation in Ukraine and the current NATO partnership with Kyiv with a view to offer new options for cooperation and security sector reform–driven initiatives. The aim of this study is to investigate possibilities for increased EU-NATO cooperation in relation to Ukraine in the fields of cybersecurity, strategic communication and security sector reform, with the objective of further embedding the country’s security. The research is supported by primary sources (EU official documents), secondary literature and semi-structured anonymous interviews with EU and NATO officials based in Brussels and in Kyiv.
- Bugriy, Maksym, ‘Russian Proposal Reopens Donbas UN Peacekeepers Debate Publication’, Eurasia Daily Monitor 14:116, 22 September 2017, available at: https://jamestown.org/program/russian-proposal-reopens-donbas-un-peacekeepers-debate/.
- Deni, John R., ‘Enhancing NATO’s Forward Presence’, Carnegie Europe, 27 April 2017, available at: http://carnegieeurope.eu/strategiceurope/?fa=68792.
- European External Action Service, ‘Progress report on the implementation of the common set of proposals endorsed by NATO and EU Councils on 6 December 2016’, 14 June 2017, available at: https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/170614-joint-progress-report-eu-nato-en-1.pdf.
- European External Action Service, ‘EU-NATO Cooperation Factsheet’, 16 June 2017, available at: https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/eu_nato_factsheet_16-06-2017.pdf.
- European External Action Service, ‘EU-NATO cooperation stronger than ever’, 29 June 2017, available at: https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage_fr/29052/EU-NATO%20cooperation%20stronger%20than%20ever.
- Euractiv, ‘Dutch senators approve compromise on EU-Ukraine pact’, 31 May 2017, available at: https://www.euractiv.com/section/elections/news/dutch-senators-approve-compromise-on-eu-ukraine-pact/.
- Euronews, ‘Ukraine crisis has created more than 2 million refugees, UN reports’, 22 April 2015, available at: http://www.euronews.com/2015/04/22/ukraine-crisis-has-created-more-than-2-million-refugees-un-reports.
- European Commission, ‘EU-Ukraine Trade’, 22 February 2017, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/ukraine/.
- European Commission, ‘European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations’, 28 September 2017, available at: https://ec.europa.eu/echo/files/aid/countries/factsheets/ukraine_en.pdf.
- European Council, ‘Illegal annexation of Crimea and Sevastopol: EU extends sanctions by one year’, Press Release, 17 June 2016, available at: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2016/06/17-annexation-crimea-sevastopol-eu-extends-sanctions/.
- EU vs Disinformation, ‘How to deal with pro-Kremlin trolls in 4 steps’, 19 August 2017, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Na_Urs7_rc&feature=youtu.be.
- EU vs Disinformation, ‘The law on education demonstrates that Ukraine is a Nazi state’, 25 September 2017, available at: https://euvsdisinfo.eu/report/the-law-on-education-which-was-signed-by-president-poroshenko-on-25-10-2017-and-which-provides-gradual-transfer-of-secondary-education-in-this-country-into-the-ukrainian-language-demonstrates-that-u/.
- Fifer, Steven, ‘Test Putin’s proposal for U.N. peacekeepers’, Brookings, 13 September 2017, available at: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2017/09/13/test-putins-proposal-for-u-n-peacekeepers/.
- Finnish Government, ‘European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats established in Helsinki’, Communications Department, Press Release 159, 11 April 2017, available at: http://valtioneuvosto.fi/en/article/-/asset_publisher/10616/eurooppalainen-hybridiuhkien-osaamiskeskus-perustettiin-helsinkiin.
- Global Forum on Cyber Expertise, ‘Cybersecurity in Ukraine: National Strategy and international cooperation’, 7 June 2017, available at: https://www.thegfce.com/news/news/2017/05/31/cybersecurity-in-ukraine.
- Hanssen, Mans, International Support to Security Sector Reform in Ukraine: A mapping of SSR projects (Folke Bernadotte Academy, 2016).Google Scholar
- Horrell, Steven, ‘A NATO Strategy for Security in the Black Sea Region’, Atlantic Council, Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security, October 2016, available at: http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/images/publications/NATO_Strategy_Black_Sea_Region_web_1004.pdf.
- Hug, Adam, The information battle: How governments in the former Soviet Union promote their agendas and attack their opponents abroad (London: Foreign Policy Centre, 2017).Google Scholar
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre, ‘Ukraine IDP Figure Analysis’, available at: http://www.internal-displacement.org/countries/ukraine.
- International Crisis Group, ‘Ukraine: Military Deadlock, Political Crisis’, Briefing N.85, 19 December 2016.Google Scholar
- Institute of World Policy, ‘What do Ukrainians Think about Ukraine?’, 20 August 2015, available at: http://iwp.org.ua/en/publication/shho-dumayut-ukrayintsi-pro-ukrayinu/.
- Jozwiak, Rikard, ‘EU Ties With Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine To Dominate Summit, According To Paper Seen By RFE/RL’, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 21 September 2017, available at: https://www.rferl.org/a/eu-summit-georgia-moldova-ukraine-eastern-partership/28749474.html?ltflags=mailer.
- Kostanyan, Hrant and Stefan Meister, ‘Ukraine, Russia and the EU Breaking the deadlock in the Minsk process’, June 2016, available at: CEPS, No. 423.Google Scholar
- Liik, Kadri, ‘How the EU Needs to Manage Relations With Its Eastern Neighborhood’, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 23 August 2017, available at: http://carnegieendowment.org/2017/08/23/how-eu-needs-to-manage-relations-with-its-eastern-neighborhood-pub-72883.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, ‘Coordination Meeting on StratCom Training for Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova’, NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence, Riga, 19 February 2015, available at: http://leurenmoret.info/currents/editorial-page/psyop-101-/doc-1-stratcom-training.pdf.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, ‘NATO Trust Fund on Cyber Defence in Ukraine’, June 2016, available at: http://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2016_07/20160712_1606-trust-fund-ukr-cyberdef.pdf.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, ‘EU-NATO Joint Declaration’, Press Release 119, 8 July 2016, available at: http://www.nato.int/cps/de/natohq/official_texts_133163.htm.
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, ‘Latest from the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM), based on information received as of 19:30, 15 November 2017’, 16 November 2017, available at: http://www.osce.org/special-monitoring-mission-to-ukraine/357131.
- RFE/RL, ‘Trump Lectures NATO Allies On Defence Spending’, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 25 May 2017, available at: https://www.rferl.org/a/nato-trump/28509003.html.
- RFE/RL, ‘Poland, NATO Troops Hold Drills Amid Security Concerns’, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 21 September 2017, available at: https://www.rferl.org/a/nato-poland-dragon-military-exercise/28749659.html?ltflags=mailer.
- RFE/RL, ‘U.S. Military Chief Says Recommends Providing Ukraine With Lethal Defensive Aid’, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 27 September 2017, available at: https://www.rferl.org/a/us-military-chief-dunford-says-recommends-providing-ukraine-lethal-defensive-aid/28759423.html.
- Security Service of Ukraine, ‘Completion ceremony of NATO Trust Fund first phase with the support of Ukraine in strengthening of cyber protection takes place in the SBU’, 4 July 2017, available at: https://ssu.gov.ua/en/news/1/category/21/view/3668#.o9t31vxF.dpbs.
- Socor, Vladimir, ‘Putin, Merkel Exchange Views on Ukraine in Sochi (part one and two)’, Eurasia Daily Monitor (2017), available at: https://jamestown.org/program/putin-merkel-exchange-views-ukraine-sochi-part-one/ and https://jamestown.org/program/putin-merkel-exchange-views-ukraine-sochi-part-two/.