Turning Points and Shifting Understandings of European Security: The European Neighbourhood Policy’s Development
- 172 Downloads
The chapter aims at contributing to the conceptualisation of the EU’s security role and of the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) as a regional security policy. We argue that there have been shifts in the EU’s approach towards regional security in the framework of the ENP and that a clear trend towards a more systematic combination of structural and hard security elements is visible, reflecting both new EU institutional capabilities and a propitious international environment, demanding integrated and comprehensive approaches to security. We argue that the EU’s security actorness in the neighbourhood has benefited from this developing comprehensive approach, ingraining a mix of normative and geopolitical aspects reflected in the EU’s self-perception and its international image.
The authors acknowledge funding for research from the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks (ITN-ETN) of the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme, under grant agreement ‘CASPIAN—Around the Caspian: A Doctoral Training for Future Experts in Development and Cooperation with Focus on the Caspian Region’ (642709—CASPIAN—H2020-MSCA-ITN-2014).
- Adler, Emmanuel and Michael Barnett (eds), Security Communities (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998), pp. 69–118.Google Scholar
- Blackman, Steven, ‘The 2016 “Winter Package” on European Security and Defence: Constitutional, Legal and Institutional Implications’, Report for the European Parliament Directorate General for Internal Policies, Policy Department C: Citizens’ Rights and Constitutional Affairs, Brussels, 16 December 2016, available at: PE 571.405.Google Scholar
- Bretherton, Charlotte and John Vogler, The European Union as a Global Actor (London: Routledge, 2006).Google Scholar
- Cierco Gomes, Teresa (ed.), The European Union and Its Immediate Neighbourhood (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2013).Google Scholar
- Communication from the Commission, ‘Wider Europe Neighbourhood. A New Framework for Relations with our Eastern and Southern Neighbours’, Brussels, March 2003, available at: COM (2003a) 104.Google Scholar
- Communication from the Commission, ‘Paving the Way for a New Neighbourhood Instrument’, Brussels, July 2003, available at: COM (2003b) 393.Google Scholar
- Copenhagen European Council, ‘Conclusions of the Presidency’, 21–22 June, 1993, available at: SN 180/1/93 REV 1.Google Scholar
- Council of the European Union, ‘Joint Declaration of the Prague Eastern Partnership Summit’, Brussels/Prague, 7 May, 2009, available at: 8435/09 (Presse 78).Google Scholar
- Dannreuther, Roland, ‘Developing the Alternative to Enlargement: The European Neighbourhood Policy’, European Foreign Affairs Review 11:2 (2006), pp. 183–201.Google Scholar
- Deutsch, Karl et al., Political Community and the North Atlantic Area (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1957).Google Scholar
- European Commission, ‘Review of EU–Russia Relations’, Communication from the Commission to the Council, Brussels, 5 November, 2008, available at: COM (2008) 740 final.Google Scholar
- European Commission and EEAS, The EU’s Comprehensive Approach to External Conflict and Crisis (Brussels: EU, 2013).Google Scholar
- European Commission and High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, ‘A new response to a changing Neighbourhood’, Joint communication to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, Brussels, 25 May, 2011, available at: COM(2011) 303 final.Google Scholar
- European Council, ‘European Council conclusions’, Brussels, 15 December, 2016, available at: doc.34/16.Google Scholar
- European Security Strategy, ‘A Secure Europe in a Better World’, Brussels, 12 December, 2003.Google Scholar
- European Union Global Strategy, ‘Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe. A Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy’, Brussels, June 2016.Google Scholar
- Kanet, Roger E. (ed.), The Russian Challenge to the European Security Environment (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017).Google Scholar
- Lisbon Treaty, ‘Treaty of Lisbon, Amending the Treaty on the European Union and the Treaty establishing the European community’, Official Journal of the European Union, 17 December, 2007 available at: 2007/C 306/01.Google Scholar
- Marsh, Steve and Wyn Rees, The European Union in the Security of Europe: From Cold War to Terror War (Oxford: Routledge, 2012).Google Scholar
- Merlingen, Michael and Rasa Ostrauskaite (eds), European Security and Defence Policy: An Implementation Perspective (Oxford: Routledge, 2008).Google Scholar
- Piet, Remi and Licínia Simão (eds), Security in Shared Neighbourhoods: Foreign Policy of Russia Turkey, and the EU (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016).Google Scholar
- Putin, Vladimir, ‘“We did What We had to DO” Putin OPENS Up On Crimea Reunification PLAN’, Interview with RT, 10 March, 2015, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hN24Ceing.
- Putin, Vladimir, ‘Address by President of the Russian Federation to State Duma deputies, Federation Council members, heads of Russian regions and civil society representatives in the Kremlin’, Moscow, 18 March, 2014.Google Scholar
- Raquel Freire, Maria, ‘Challenges and opportunities at the EU’s vicinity: assessing policies and practices’, in Teresa Cierco Gomes (ed.), The European Union and Its Immediate Neighbourhood (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2013).Google Scholar
- RFE/RL, ‘The View from Europe’, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 27 August, 2008, available at: http://www.rferl.org/content/The_View_From_Europe/1194356.
- Simão, Licínia and Vanda Amaro Dias, ‘The securitization of the EU’s Eastern neighbourhood: What role for Russia?’, in Remi Piet and Licínia Simão (eds), Security in Shared Neighbourhoods: Foreign Policy of Russia Turkey, and the EU (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016).Google Scholar
- Simão, Licínia, The EU’s Neighbourhood Policy towards the South Caucasus: Expanding the European Security Community (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018).Google Scholar
- Stamnes, Eli, ‘The European Union and Peacebuilding’, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, Policy Brief Series, 3 March 2016.Google Scholar
- Wæver, Ole, ‘Insecurity, security, and asecurity in the West European non-war community’, in Emmanuel Adler and Michael Barnett (eds), Security Communities (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998), pp. 69–118.Google Scholar