Established in 1947, the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) has quickly evolved from a fledgling service into one aspiring to regional and global leadership. Considered among the most prestigious government careers in India, the IFS takes pride in its commitment to promoting peaceful conflict resolution, economic freedom, and democratic values. The IFS offers little in the way of mid-career training; it relies on an informal culture of personal mentorship. Many challenges remain for the IFS, including increasing the diversity of the workforce, managing often severe budget constraints, and promoting work-life balance for officers. The most pressing concern for the IFS, however, is insufficient diplomatic and support staff.
KeywordsIndia Diplomacy Diplomats Foreign policy Foreign ministry Indian Foreign Service
The authors wish to thank the diplomats and scholars who were consulted in researching and writing this chapter.
- Aiyar, M.S. 2009. A Time of Transition: Rajiv Gandhi to the 21st Century. New Delhi: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Cohen, S. 2001. India: Emerging Power. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press.Google Scholar
- Dixit, J.N. 2005. Indian Foreign Service: History and Challenge. New Delhi: Konark Publishers.Google Scholar
- Dyer, M. 2016, October 27. Strategic Culture, National Strategy, and Policymaking in the Asia-Pacific: An Interview with Ashley J. Tellis. The National Bureau of Asian Research. https://www.nbr.org/publication/strategic-culture-national-strategy-and-policymaking-in-the-asia-pacific/. Accessed March 25, 2019.
- If Shashi Tharoor’s Panel Has Its Way, India’s Diplomatic Corps Could Grow in Quality and Quantity. 2016, August 3. FirstPost.com. http://www.firstpost.com/world/india-is-strapped-for-diplomats-but-if-shashi-tharoors-panel-has-its-way-you-could-become-one-2931362.html. Accessed March 25, 2019.
- Indian Foreign Service. 2018. Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India. https://www.mea.gov.in/indian-foreign-service.htm. Accessed March 25, 2019.
- Jawaharlal Nehru, J. 1942. Glimpses of World History. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Ministry of External Affairs. 2019. Government of India. https://www.mea.gov.in. Accessed March 15, 2019.
- PM Modi Hails Indian Diaspora, Says They Are Role Models for Other Communities. 2017, January. Economic Times. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/nri/nris-in-news/pm-modi-hails-indian-diaspora-says-they-are-role-models-for-other-communities/articleshow/56400651.cms. Accessed March 25, 2019.
- Question Papers. 2016, September 15. Union Public Service Commission, Government of India, September 15. https://upsc.gov.in/examinations/previous-question-papers. Accessed March 25, 2019.
- Rana, K.S. 2007. Asian Diplomacy: The Foreign Ministries of China, India, Japan, Singapore and Thailand. Washington, DC: Woodrow Wilson Center Press.Google Scholar
- Sreenivasan, T.P. 2015, June 25. Foreign Service Must Remain Elitist. Hindu. http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/foreign-service-must-remain-elitist/article7350788.ece. Accessed March 25, 2019.
- Talbot, S. 2004. Engaging India: Diplomacy, Democracy and the Bomb. Washington, DC: Brookings Institute Press.Google Scholar
- Things You Must Know Before You Start Preparing for UPSC Civil Services Exam. 2016, June 2. India Today. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/education/story/upsc-civil-services-exam/1/683251.html. Accessed March 25, 2019.