Consumer Information for Patients, Families, and Caregivers
- 234 Downloads
The demand for consumer data to make decisions about health care continues to increase with the evolving nature of health savings accounts, consumer-driven health plans, value-based incentive benefits, and public reporting on healthcare information. The demand for meaningful data is exceeding the supply of information that can be used to make wise healthcare decisions. There are, however, several sources of information available today that were not in existence only a few years ago including public and private healthcare rating websites, decision support tools, adverse event reporting systems, and newly developed apps for smartphones. Consumers that have relied on referrals from physicians, family, and friends to steer their course are now increasingly supplementing these sources with other valuable information.
KeywordsConsumer report cards Transparency Compare websites Clinical decision support tools Consumer healthcare apps
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Clinical decision support. n.d.-a. https://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/prevention-chronic-care/decision/clinical/index.html. Accessed 1 June 2019.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. QuestionBuilder App. n.d.-b. https://www.ahrq.gov/patient-safety/question-builder.html. Accessed 16 June 2019.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Australian Government. n.d.. https://www.myhospitals.gov.au/. Accessed 1 June 2019.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. About physician compare. n.d.-a. https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/#about/improvinghealthcarequality. Accessed 1 June 2019.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. What’s covered app. n.d.-b. https://www.medicare.gov/blog/whats-covered-mobile-app. Accessed 16 May 2019.
- Choosing Wisely. n.d.. http://www.choosingwisely.org/our-mission/. Accessed 1 June 2019.
- Consumer Reports. Health. n.d.. https://www.consumerreports.org/health/. Accessed 30 May 2019.
- Food and Drug Administration. MedWatch: The FDA safety information and adverse event reporting program. n.d.. https://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch-fda-safety-information-and-adverse-event-reporting-program. Accessed 1 June 2019.
- Health Consumer Power House. n.d.. https://healthpowerhouse.com/about-us/#our-mission. Accessed 1 June 2019.
- Healthgrades. Editorial policy. n.d.. https://www.healthgrades.com/content/editorial-policy. Accessed 30 May 2019.
- National Committee for Quality Assurance. Report cards. n.d.. https://reportcards.ncqa.org/#/. Accessed 30 May 2019.
- Pennsylvania Healthcare Cost Commission. n.d.. http://www.phc4.org/default.htm. Accessed 1 June 2019.
- Private Healthcare Information Network. n.d.. https://www.phin.org.uk/about/our-mandate. Accessed 1 June 2019.
- Scope Sante. n.d.. https://www.scopesante.fr/#/.
- U.S. News. Health. n.d.. https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals.viding. Accessed 30 May 2019.
- WebMd. About. n.d.. https://www.webmd.com/about-webmd-policies/about-what-we-do-for-our-users. Accessed 1 June 2019.