Attack-Aware Recovery Controller-Switch-Link Cost Minimization Placement Algorithm in Software-Defined Networking
An effective controller placement is vital in software-defined networking (SDN). The configuration of controller, switch, link and backup controller in a network will affect the cost of network planning. Hitherto, researchers in SDN have been addressing many issues related to SDN controller placement issues but only suggestion on the idea of deployment of backup controller (BC) placement due to network malfunction and attack. Here, we would like to propose an attack-aware recovery placement scheme with the main objective in reducing the network planning cost as well as providing uninterrupted service for SDN. Our approach is derived from a hybrid combination of heuristic and greedy strategy to generate array of combinations in a relative short time as compared to k-combination method that is highly complex and requires longer computation time. As a preventive technique, the generated BC will be connected to a fixed controller at a node to be readily used as a replacement in the event where controller malfunction occur due to attack and failure. The heuristic algorithm demonstrated a significant decrease in computation time required to produce distinct combination of controller by 99.25% compared to k-combination approach.
KeywordsSoftware-defined networking Controller placement Attack-aware algorithm
This research work is fully supported by the research grant of TM R&D and Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia. We are very thankful to the team of TM R&D and Multimedia University for providing the support to our research studies.
- 1.Tatipamula, M., Beheshti-Zavareh, N., Zhang, Y.: Controller placement for fast failover in the split architecture. EP Patent EP2552065A1, 30 January 2013Google Scholar
- 2.Beheshti-Zavareh, N., Zhang, Y., Halpern, J.: Controller placement for fast failover in the split architecture. U.S. Patent US 9225591 B2, 29 December 2015Google Scholar
- 3.Lin, S.C., Wang, P., Akyildiz, I., Luo, M.: Traffic-driven network controller placement in software-defined networks. U.S. Patent US20160323144A1, 3 November 2016Google Scholar
- 4.Collaborative theory-based DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service Attack) defence system and method. CN Patent CN106921666A, 4 July 2017Google Scholar
- 13.Miu, T.T., Hui, A.K., Lee, W.L., Luo, D.X., Chung, A.K.: Universal DDoS Mitigation Bypass. Black Hat USA (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Scott-Hayward, S., O’Callaghan, G., Sezer, S.: SDN security: a survey. In: IEEE SDN for Future Networks and Services (SDN4FNS), pp. 1–7 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Qin, Q., Poularakis, K., Iosifidis, G., Tassiulas, L.: SDN controller placement at the edge: optimizing delay and overheads. In: Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 684–692 (2018)Google Scholar
- 17.Fonseca, P., Bennesby, R., Mota, E., Passito, A.: A replication component for resilient OpenFlow-based networking. In: Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS), pp. 933–939. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Jalili, A., Ahmadi, V., Keshtgari, M., Kazemi, M.: Controller placement in software-defined wan using multi objective genetic algorithm. In: 2nd International Conference on Knowledge-Based Engineering and Innovation (KBEI), pp. 656–662. IEEE, 5 November 2015Google Scholar
- 19.Mitchell, B.: Availability concepts for networks and systems, lifewire (2017). https://www.lifewire.com/availabilityconcepts-for-networks-systems-817820