Effectiveness of Machine Learning Based Intrusion Detection Systems
Security is the most significant issue in concerns of protecting information or data breaches. Furthermore, attackers present a new variety of cyber-attacks in the market, which prevent users from managing their network or computer system. For that reason, the growth of cybersecurity research studies, such as intrusion detection and prevention systems have great significance. The intrusion detection system (IDS) is an effective approach against malicious attacks. In this work, a range of experiments has been carried out on seven machine learning algorithms by using the CICIDS2017 intrusion detection dataset. It ensued to compute several performance metrics to examine the selected algorithms. The experimental results demonstrated that the K-Nearest Neighbors (KNN) classifier outperformed in terms of precision, recall, accuracy, and F1-score as compared to other machine learning classifiers. Nevertheless, All of the used machine learning classifiers except KNN trained their models in a reasonable time.
KeywordsIntrusion Detection System Machine learning IDS dataset Cybersecurity Classification algorithms
Mohammed and Freeh would thank Aljouf and Majmaah Universities, respectively, for the scholarship funds.
- 2.Aksu, D., Üstebay, S., Aydin, M.A., Atmaca, T.: Intrusion detection with comparative analysis of supervised learning techniques and fisher score feature selection algorithm. In: Czachórski, T., Gelenbe, E., Grochla, K., Lent, R. (eds.) ISCIS 2018. CCIS, vol. 935, pp. 141–149. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-00840-6_16CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Bansal, A., Kaur, S.: Extreme gradient boosting based tuning for classification in intrusion detection systems. In: Singh, M., Gupta, P.K., Tyagi, V., Flusser, J., Ören, T. (eds.) ICACDS 2018. CCIS, vol. 905, pp. 372–380. Springer, Singapore (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-1810-8_37CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Boukhamla, A., Gaviro, J.C.: Cicids 2017 dataset: performance improvements and validation as a robust intrusion detection system testbed (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Hastie, T., Tibshirani, R., Friedman, J.: The elements of statistical learning, Chapter 6 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Hou, J., Fu, P., Cao, Z., Xu, A.: Machine learning based DDoS detection through netflow analysis. In: MILCOM 2018–2018 IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 10.Panda, M., Patra, M.R.: Network intrusion detection using Naive Bayes. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Netw. Secur. 7(12), 258–263 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Quinlan, J.R.: Induction of decision trees. Mach. Learn. 1(1), 81–106 (1986)Google Scholar
- 13.Sharafaldin, I., Lashkari, A.H., Ghorbani, A.A.: Toward generating a new intrusion detection dataset and intrusion traffic characterization. In: ICISSP, pp. 108–116 (2018)Google Scholar
- 15.Ustebay, S., Turgut, Z., Aydin, M.A.: Intrusion detection system with recursive feature elimination by using random forest and deep learning classifier. In: 2018 International Congress on Big Data, Deep Learning and Fighting Cyber Terrorism (IBIGDELFT), pp. 71–76. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar