Role of Virtual Endoscopy and 3-D Reconstruction in Airway Assessment of Critically Ill Patients
- 222 Downloads
Virtual endoscopy (VE) is a computer simulation from the imaging anatomical studies. It is noninvasive, and hence avoids all the complications of invasive conventional endoscopy. VE does not require a pre-procedural patient preparation and had a shorter procedural time. It is a very useful technique in the diagnosis and management of trachea-bronchial injuries and stenosis; placement of tracheostomy cannula in patients with abnormal anatomy; diagnosis of tracheoesophageal and laryngeal traumatic injuries, bronchopleural fistulas, and foreign body in tracheobronchial tree; and diagnosis of inhalational injury and epiglottis.
KeywordsConventional endoscopy Inhalational injury 3-Dimentional images Trachea-bronchial anatomy Injuries and fistula Virtual endoscopy
VB shows external nonmucosal compressions on the bronchial wall that cause indentation upon the related part of the trachea with subsequent reduction of its AP dimension (MP4 338 kb)
VB shows external compressions caused by normal anatomic structure (esophagus) (AVI 4888 kb)
Virtual endoscopy for a case of tracheal stenosis demonstrating the level and extent (AVI 20403 kb)
Conventional flexible endoscopic evaluation for a case of TOF (AVI 2509 kb)
(MP4 84,686 kb)
- 1.Burke AJ, et al. Evaluation of Airway Obstruction Using Virtual Endoscopy. Laryngoscope 110: January 2000. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc. Philadelphia: The American Laryngological, Rhinological and Otological Society, Inc; 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.Horton, et al. Advanced visualization of airways with 64-MDCT: 3-D mapping and virtual bronchoscopy. AJR. 2007;189 https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.2824.
- 4.Tejeshwar Singh Jugpal et al Multi-detector computed tomography imaging of large airway pathology: A pictorial review. World J Radiol 2015; 7(12): 459–474. https://doi.org/10.4329/wjr.v7.i12.459.
- 5.Morshed K, et al. Evaluation of tracheal stenosis: comparison between computed tomography virtual tracheobronchoscopy with multiplanar reformatting, flexible tracheofiberoscopy and intra-operative findings. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2011;268:591–7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-010-1380-2.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Thomas BP, et al. CT virtual endoscopy in the evaluation of large airway disease: review. AJR. 2009;192 https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.7077.
- 10.Sodhi K. Anticipated difficult tracheostomy: should CT scan be a pre-requisite. J Emerg Intern Med. 2017;1(2):14.Google Scholar
- 13.Hegde RG, et al. Esophagobronchial fi stulae: Diagnosis by MDCT with oral contrast swallow examination of a benign and a malignant cause. Ind J Radiol Imag. 2013;23(2)Google Scholar
- 16.Lim KE, et al. Tracheal Injury Diagnosed with Three-Dimensional Imaging Using Multidetector Row Computed Tomography. Chang Gung Med J. 2004;27(3)Google Scholar
- 25.Soo-long H, Woo GH, Jong-Lyel R. Utility of spiral and cine CT scans in pediatric patients suspected of aspirating radiolucent foreign bodies. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;138:5576–80.Google Scholar