Developing the Research Strategy
- 85 Downloads
While there is a growing research literature on contemporary right-wing Antisemitism, Muslim Antisemitism, and left-wing Antisemitism, Goldhagen (A moral reckoning: The role of the catholic church in the holocaust and its unfulfilled duty of repair. Vintage Books, 2003) was right in emphasizing that with 450 Antisemitic statements in the 4 Christian Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles from the New Testament alone, it is time to reflect anew as well on Antisemitism and the Christian tradition. The chapter debates Francis Fukuyama and his essay published in Foreign Affairs in summer 2016, which highlighted that the Western ideological consensus rested on the acceptancy of globalization, migration, and the integration of religious, ethnic, and sexual minorities. If global support for liberal Catholicism among the active rank and file of global Catholicism erodes, it is yet another sign of how the democratic center of the Free World itself erodes progressively.
The chapter debates recent global opinion survey-based contributions on the political culture of global Catholicism and draws the conclusion that quantitative comparative sociology, based on such surveys, is already well-equipped to face the task of studying the real landscape of active Catholicism as outlined above.
The chapter then introduces the empirical research questions, focused in the following chapters of the present book.
KeywordsFrancis Fukuyama Right-wing populism Catholic Antisemitism World Values Survey Tolerance and diversity
- Anti-Defamation League (ADL). (2014). ADL 100 Index. Download April 10, 2019, from http://global100.ADL.org/
- Bergson, H. L. (1935). The two sources of religion and morality (R. Ashley Andrà & C. Brereton with the assistance of W. Horsefall Carter, Trans.). New York: Henry Holt.Google Scholar
- Bible Gateway. (2019). Download April 10, 2019, from https://www.biblegateway.com/
- Charamsa, K. (2016). La Prima Pietra. Io, prete gay a la mia ribellione all’ipocrisia della Chiesa. Milano: Rizzoli.Google Scholar
- Fukuyama, F. (1995). Trust. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Fukuyama, F. (2006). The end of history and the last man. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Fukuyama, F. (2016, Summer). American political decay or renewal? The meaning of the 2016 election. Foreign Affairs. Available at: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2016-06-13/american-political-decay-or-renewal
- Goldhagen, D. (2003). A moral reckoning: The role of the catholic church in the holocaust and its unfulfilled duty of repair (First Vintage Books ed.). New York: Vintage Books, a division of Random House.Google Scholar
- Inglehart, R. F., & Baker, W. E. (2000). Modernization, cultural change, and the persistence of traditional values. American Sociological Review, 65(1), 19–51. Download April 10, 2019, from http://my.fit.edu/~gabrenya/cultural/readings/Inglehart-Baker-2000.pdf
- Inglehart, R. F., & Norris, P. (2009, November 4). The true clash of civilizations. Foreign Policy. Download April 10, 2019, from http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/11/04/the-true-clash-of-civilizations/
- Inglehart, R. F., & Norris, P. (2016). Trump, Brexit, and the rise of populism: Economic have-nots and cultural backlash. Download April 10, 2019, from SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2818659 HKS Working Paper No. RWP16-026.
- Inglehart, R. F., & Welzel C. (2009, March, April). How development leads to democracy. What we know about modernization. Foreign Affairs. Download April 10, 2019, from http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/64821/ronald-Inglehart-and-christian-welzel/how-development-leads-to-democracy
- Inglehart, R. F., Ponarin, E., & Inglehart, R. C. (2017). Cultural change, slow and fast: The distinctive trajectory of norms governing gender equality and sexual orientation. Social Forces, 95(4), 1313–1340.Google Scholar
- Jikeli, G. (2015). European Muslim antisemitism: Why young urban males say they don’t like Jews (Studies in Antisemitism). Bloomington: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Kressel, N. (2012). “The sons of pigs and apes”: Muslim Antisemitism and the conspiracy of silence (1st ed.). Washington, DC: Potomac Books.Google Scholar
- Lipset, S. M. (1969, December). The socialism of fools—The left, the Jews and Israel. Encounter, 24.Google Scholar
- Maritain, J. (1936). Humanisme integral. Problemes temporels et spirituels d’une nouvelle chretiente. Paris: Aubier (1936). 334 S. 8°. Aubier.Google Scholar
- Maritain, J. (2012). Christianity and democracy, the rights of man and natural law. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius Press.Google Scholar
- Müller, A., Tausch, A., Zulehner, P. M., & Wickens, H. (Eds.). (2000). Global capitalism, liberation theology, and the social sciences: An analysis of the contradictions of modernity at the turn of the millennium. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science.Google Scholar
- Pollack, E. (Ed.). (2017). From Antisemitism to anti-Zionism: The past & present of a lethal ideology (Antisemitism in America). Boston, MA: Academic Studies.Google Scholar
- Pope Francis, I., & Skorka, A. (2014). On heaven and earth: Pope Francis on faith, family, and the church in the twenty-first century (A. Bermúdez & H. Goodman, Trans.; D. Rosemberg, Ed.). London: Bloomsbury Continuum.Google Scholar
- Rosenfeld, A. (Ed.). (2013). Resurgent antisemitism: Global perspectives (Studies in Antisemitism). Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Rudin, J. (1987). Dietrich Bonhoeffer: A Jewish perspective. By Rabbi A. James Rudin. National Interreligious Affairs Director, The American Jewish Committee, New York. Presented at the Evangelische Akademie Nordelbien, Hamburg, June 17, 1987. Available at: https://www.jamesrudin.com/uploads/5/8/6/3/58633797/dietrich_bonhoeffer.pdf
- Tausch, A. (2016). Islamism and Antisemitism. Preliminary evidence on their relationship from cross-national opinion data. Social Evolution and History, 15(2), 50–99. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/islamism-and-antisemitism-preliminary-evidence-on-their-relationship-from-cross-national-opinion-data
- Weber, M. (1930 [1904/05]). The protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism. London: Allen and UnwinGoogle Scholar
- Wistrich, R. (2002). Muslim anti-Semitism: A clear and present danger. New York: American Jewish Committee.Google Scholar