Digital Twins in Remote Labs
- 1.2k Downloads
Accelerated by current research on the Internet of Things, working with virtual models and things has taken a significant step forward. The term digital twins refers to the development of virtual models of processes, products or services that allow the simulation of system behavior and the early detection of problems before the real system exists. Simulations have been state of the art for a long time, but with the service-oriented possibilities of the Internet a new quality of simulation results. In the meantime, it has become possible, for example, to configure a virtual computer on the Internet and run algorithms on it without this computer in fact existing, see e.g. AWS (AMAZON web services). This paper discusses possibilities that the digital twin concept can offer to educational purposes in remote and virtual laboratories.
KeywordsDigital twin Remote lab Learning scenario
We want to thank our colleagues Tobias Fäth, Felix Seibel and Johannes Nau for the hardware design and maintenance of the GOLDi-lab.
- 1.Marr, B.: What is digital twin technology—and why is it so important? [Online]. Available: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2017/03/06/what-is-digital-twin-technology-and-why-is-it-so-important/#22384ad22e2a. Accessed 25.10.2018
- 2.Top trends in the Gartner hype cycle for emerging technologies, 2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/top-trends-in-the-gartner-hype-cycle-for-emerging-technologies-2017/. Accessed 6.12.2018
- 3.Haag, S., Anderl, R.: Digital twin—proof of concept. Manuf. Lett. 15, 64–66 (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Sulema, Y., Dychka, I., Sulema, O., Sikorsky, I.: Multimodal Data Representation Models for Virtual, Remote, and Mixed Laboratories Development, pp. 560–569. Springer, Cham, Switzerland (2019)Google Scholar
- 5.Pop, D., Zutin, D.G., Auer, M.E., Henke, K., Wuttke, H.-D.: An Online Lab to Support a Master Program in Remote Engineering, pp. 1–6. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Henke, K., Vietzke, T., Hutschenreuter, R., Wuttke, H.-D.: The remote lab cloud “GOLDi-labs.net”, pp. 37–42. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Remote Lab GOLDi, TU Ilmenau, 15.8.2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.goldi-labs.net/. Accessed 15.8.2017
- 8.Knüpper, J., Seeber, M.: Browser Based Digital Circuit Simulation. IlmenauGoogle Scholar
- 9.Henke, K., Fäth, T., Hutschenreuter, R., Wuttke, H.-D.: GIFT—an integrated development and training system for finite state machine based approaches. In: Online Engineering & Internet of Things, vol. 22, pp. 743–757. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2018)Google Scholar