Recommendation as a Service in Mergers and Acquisitions Transactions
Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) happens frequently between corporations to combine and/or transfer their ownerships, operating units and assets. The purpose of the study is to develop a service that is able to recommend a feasible M&A deal. We integrate the support vector machine model with the kernel tricks to automatically determine M&A deals. In the end of the study, our proposed technique is empirically validated, and the results show the effectiveness of the recommendation service.
KeywordsMergers and acquisitions Machine learning Support vector machine Financial kernel Recommendation service
This work is supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan (106-2410-H-110-082), and the Intelligent Electronic Commerce Research Center from the Featured Areas Research Center Program within the framework of the Higher Education Sprout Project by the Ministry of Education (MOE) in Taiwan.
- An, S., He, Y., Zhao, Z., Sun, J.: Measurement of merger and acquisition performance based on artificial neural network. In: 2006 5th IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics, pp. 502–506. IEEE, Beijing (2006)Google Scholar
- Boser, B.E., Guyon, I.M., Vapnik, V.N.: A training algorithm for optimal margin classifiers. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Workshop on Computational Learning Theory, pp. 144–152. ACM, Pittsburgh (1992)Google Scholar
- Dimitriadou, E., Hornik, K., Leisch, F., Meyer, D., Weingessel, A.: Misc functions of the Department of Statistics (e1071), TU Wien. R package, 1, 5–24 (2008)Google Scholar
- Hornik, K., Meyer, D., Karatzoglou, A.: Support vector machines in R. J. Stat. Softw. 15(9), 1–28 (2006)Google Scholar
- Meador, A.L., Church, P.H., Rayburn, L.G.: Development of prediction models for horizontal and vertical mergers. J. Financ. Strat. Decis. 9(1), 11–23 (1996)Google Scholar
- Song, X.-L., Zhang, Q.-S., Chu, Y.-H., Song, E.-Z.: A study on financial strategy for determining the target enterprise of merger and acquisition. In: 2009 IEEE/INFORMS International Conference on Service Operations, Logistics and Informatics, SOLI 2009, pp. 477–480. IEEE, Chicago (2009)Google Scholar
- Tsagkanos, A., Georgopoulos, A., Siriopoulos, C.: Predicting Greek mergers and acquisitions: a new approach. Int. J. Financ. Serv. Manag. 2(4), 289–303 (2007)Google Scholar