On the Discovery of Educational Patterns using Biclustering
The world-wide drive for academic excellence is placing new requirements on educational data analysis, triggering the need to find less-trivial educational patterns in non-identically distributed data with noise, missing values and non-constant relations. Biclustering, the discovery of a subset of objects (whether students, teachers, researchers, courses and degrees) correlated on a subset of attributes (performance indicators), has unique properties of interest thus being positioned to satisfy the aforementioned needs. Despite its relevance, the potentialities of applying biclustering in the educational domain remain unexplored. This work proposes a structured view on how to apply biclustering to comprehensively explore educational data, with a focus on how to guarantee actionable, robust and statistically significant results. The gathered results from student performance data confirm the relevance of biclustering educational data.
KeywordsBiclustering Pattern mining Educational data mining
This work is supported by national funds through Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT) under project iLU DSAIPA/DS/0111/2018 and INESC-ID pluriannual UID/CEC/50021/2019.
- 1.Antunes, C.: Acquiring background knowledge for intelligent tutoring systems. In: EDM (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Baker, R.S., Inventado, P.S.: Educational data mining and learning analytics. In: Larusson, J.A., White, B. (eds.) Learning Analytics, pp. 61–75. Springer, New York (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Barracosa, J., Antunes, C.: Anticipating teachers performance. In: KDD IW on Knowledge Discovery in Educational Data, pp. 77–82 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Chandra, E., Nandhini, K.: Knowledge mining from student data. Eur. J. Sci. Res. 47(1), 156–163 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Dutt, A., Aghabozrgi, S., Ismail, M.B., Mahroeian, H.: Clustering algorithms applied in educational data mining. IJ Info. Electron. Eng. 5(2), 112 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Gottin, V., Jiménez, H., Finamore, A.C., Casanova, M.A., Furtado, A.L., Nunes, B.P.: An analysis of degree curricula through mining student records. In: ICALT, pp. 276–280. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Olaniyi, A.S., Abiola, H.M., Taofeekat Tosin, S.I., Kayode, Babatunde, A.N.: Knowledge discovery from educational database using apriori algorithm. CS&Telec. 51(1) (2017)Google Scholar
- 18.Trivedi, S., Pardos, Z., Sárkozy, G., Heffernan, N.: Co-clustering by bipartite spectral graph partitioning for out-of-tutor prediction. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Educational Data Mining, Chania, Greece, 19–21 June 2012, pp. 33–40 (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Trivedi, S., Pardos, Z., Sárkozy, G., Heffernan, N.: Spectral clustering in educational data mining. In: EDM (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Vale, A., Madeira, S.C., Antunes, C.: Mining coherent evolution patterns in education through biclustering. In: Educational Data Mining (2014)Google Scholar