Petroleum and natural gas are among the primary energy sources for the United States and around the world. According to “International Energy Outlook 2017” released by the Energy Information Administration (EIA), 66\(\%\) of U.S. energy consumption was from petroleum and gas in 2016 (EIA, US: International Energy Outlook 2017. US Energy Information Administration, 2017, ). Looking forward to 2040, more than 60\(\%\) of energy consumption still depends on petroleum and natural gas.
- 1.Bennion, D.B., Thomas, F.B., Bietz, R.F., Bennion, D.W., et al.: Underbalanced drilling, praises and perils. In: Permian Basin Oil and Gas Recovery Conference. Society of Petroleum Engineers (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, J., Li, S., MacMillan, C., Cortes, G., Wood, D., et al.: Long range electromagnetic telemetry using an innovative casing antenna system. In: SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.EIA, US: International Energy Outlook 2017. US Energy Information Administration (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Jannin, G., Chen, J., DePavia, L.E., Sun, L., Schwartz, M.: Deep electrode: a game-changing technology for electromagnetic telemetry. In: SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2017, pp. 1059–1063. Society of Exploration Geophysicists (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Shen, Q., Chen, J., MacMillan, C., Wu, X.: I-Corps: advanced 3D simulation software for electromagnetic telemetry. In: Final presentation of customer discovery. National Science Foundation I-Corps Project #1755200 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Tang, W., Li, Y., Swidinsky, A., Liu, J.: Three-dimensional controlled-source EM modeling with an energized well casing by finite element. In: International Workshop and Gravity, Electrical & Magnetic Methods and their Applications, pp. 394–397. Society of Exploration Geophysicists and and Chinese Geophysical Society (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Wei, Y.: Propagation of electromagnetic signal along a metal well in an inhomogeneous medium. Ph.D. thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (2013)Google Scholar