- 559 Downloads
Developments in sequencing, “OMICS” and genetic engineering have given rise to several innovative concepts and research in biological sciences. The field of synthetic biology has made rapid progress from a concept to an established discipline with immense industrial and biotechnological applications besides its role in environmental, agriculture and veterinary sciences.
Synthetic biology is capable of altering natural genomes with precision
The approach as multiple benefits in animal health, dairy, and food production.
KeywordsSynthetic biology Artificial cells Artificial microbes Genome engineering Microbial engineering Novel therapeutics
- Hutchison CA 3rd, Chuang RY, Noskov VN, Assad-Garcia N, Deerinck TJ, Ellisman MH, Gill J, Kannan K, Karas BJ, Ma L, Pelletier JF, Qi ZQ, Richter RA, Strychalski EA, Sun L, Suzuki Y, Tsvetanova B, Wise KS, Smith HO, Glass JI, Merryman C, Gibson DG, Venter JC (2016) Design and synthesis of a minimal bacterial genome. Science 351(6280):aad6253. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aad6253 (Erratum in: ACS Chem Biol. 2016 May 20;11(5):1463)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Myers SS, Smith MR, Guth S, Golden CD, Vaitla B, Mueller ND, Dangour AD, Huybers P (2017) Climate change and global food systems: potential impacts on food security and undernutrition. Annu Rev Public Health 38:259–277. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031816-044356 (Epub 2017 Jan 6. Review)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Okano K, Honda K, Taniguchi H, Kondo A (2018) De novo design of biosynthetic pathways for bacterial production of bulk chemicals and biofuels. FEMS Microbiol Lett 365(20). https://doi.org/10.1093/femsle/fny215
- Piaggio AJ, Segelbacher G, Seddon PJ, Alphey L, Bennett EL, Carlson RH, Friedman RM, Kanavy D, Phelan R, Redford KH, Rosales M, Slobodian L, Wheeler K (2017) Is it time for synthetic biodiversity conservation? Trends Ecol Evol 32(2):97–107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2016.10.016CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Weber W, Schoenmakers R, Keller B, Gitzinger M, Grau T, Daoud-El Baba M, Sander P, Fussenegger M (2008) A synthetic mammalian gene circuit reveals antituberculosis compounds. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 105(29):9994–9998. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0800663105 (Epub 2008 Jul 9)CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Yim H, Haselbeck R, Niu W, Pujol-Baxley C, Burgard A, Boldt J, Khandurina J, Trawick JD, Osterhout RE, Stephen R, Estadilla J, Teisan S, Schreyer HB, Andrae S, Yang TH, Lee SY, Burk MJ, Van Dien S (2011) Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli for direct production of 1,4-butanediol. Nat Chem Biol 7(7):445–452. https://doi.org/10.1038/nchembio.580 (Comment in Metabolic engineering: from retrofitting to green field. [Nat Chem Biol. 2011])CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
© Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019