Social Media Presence & Usage in Indian Business Sector
This research aims to study the interrelated concepts of adoption & usage of social media platforms and extend the discussion towards social media engagement and usage in different business sectors in India. Firms from five industries, banking, information technology, automobiles, telecommunications, and consumer goods in the Bombay Stock Exchange 500 index were selected to study the social media engagement. For all the selected firms the social media presence data was collected from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Instagram. The study indicates a relationship between social media engagement & year-on-year sale variance; whereas different factors affecting the predictability of variance are discussed while replicating the model of corporate social media use. The paper shares implications for marketing professionals and researchers.
KeywordsSocial media usage Degree of social media usage Social media presence score
- Abed, S.S., Dwivedi, Y.K., Williams, M.D.: SMEs’ adoption of e-commerce using social media in a Saudi Arabian context: a systematic literature review. Int. J. Bus. Inf. Syst. 19(2), 159–179 (2015b)Google Scholar
- Hoffman, D.L., Fodor, M.: Can you measure the ROI of your social media marketing? MIT Sloan Manag. Rev. 52(1), 41 (2010)Google Scholar
- Statista Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide. https://www.statista.com/statistics/264810/number-of-monthly-active-facebook-users-worldwide/. Accessed Jan 2018
- Statista Leading countries based on number of Facebook users. https://www.statista.com/statistics/268136/top-15-countries-based-on-number-of-facebook-users/. Accessed Jan 2018
- Statista Leading countries based on Twitter users as of April 2018. https://www.statista.com/statistics/242606/number-of-active-twitter-users-in-selected-countries/. Accessed Jan 2018