Scenarios Under Change in School Facility Interventions
From the beginning of the twenty-first century, a renewed focus on the ‘educational’ value of physical school environments came to spread around, even though this mainly occurs to the designing of new infrastructures. Nevertheless, most of the existing facilities are supposed to keep accommodating teachers and students for a long time yet. In order to stress the need to address the same approach on the existing schools, the following brief scenario introduces the OECD activities aimed at promoting national policies for school renewal. Then, a number of examples are presented of local implementation by some European governments as well as of international research programmes on this issue. In the end, a focus is specifically devoted to the intervention strategies on school buildings promoted in Italy in recent years.
- von Ahlefeld, H. (2009). Evaluating quality in educational spaces: OECD/CELE pilot project. CELE exchange centre for effective learning environments, 2009/09. Paris: OECDPublishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/220802117283.
- Anger, K., Blyth, A., Velissaratou, J. (2017). LEEP field trial implementation report. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/education/LEEP-FIELD-TRIAL-IMPLEMENTATION-REPORT.pdf.
- Blackmore, J., Manninen, J., Cresswell, J., Fisher, K., & von Ahlefeld H. (2014). Effectiveness, efficiency and sufficiency: An OECD framework for a physical learning environments module. Draft Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/education/LEEP-Conceptual-Framework-2014.pdf.
- Blyth, A. (2011). OECD looking back over 50 years of educational buildings. OECD designing for education: Compendium of exemplary educational facilities 2011 (pp. 13–18). Paris: OECD Publishing.Google Scholar
- Blyth, A., Velissaratou, J. (2018). OECD school user survey: Improving learning spaces together. Paris: OECD Publishing.Google Scholar
- Blyth, A., Almeida, R., Forrester, D., Gorey, A., & Hostens, G. (2012). Modernising secondary school buildings in portugal. Paris: OECD Publishing.Google Scholar
- CABE. (2007). Creating excellent secondary schools. A guide for clients. Retrieved from https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110118111850, http://www.cabe.org.uk/files/creating-excellent-secondary-schools.pdf.
- Daprà, M. (1986). La Fondazione dell’edilizia scolastica in Italia. Contributo per un’analisi storica. Edilizia scolastica e culturale, (1), 77–96 & (2–3), 108–133.Google Scholar
- DIGO. (2003). A new educational infrastructure agency for Belgium’s Flemish community. Peb Exchange. The Journal of the OECD Programme on Educational Building, 3(50), 8–10.Google Scholar
- Eduspaces. 21. (2016a). Educational spaces 21. Open up! Introduction. Retrieved from http://www.think.org.pl/images/pliki/Eduspaces-21-intro-eng.pdf.
- Eduspaces. 21. (2016b). Educational spaces 21. Open up! Vol. 1 Physical and architectural learning environment. Retrieved from http://www.think.org.pl/images/pliki/Eduspaces-21-pa-eng.pdf.
- Eduspaces. 21. (2016c). Educational spaces 21. Open up! Vol. 2 Virtual and technological learning environment. Retrieved from http://www.think.org.pl/images/pliki/Eduspaces-21-vt-eng.pdf.
- Eduspaces. 21. (2016d). Educational spaces 21. Open up! Vol.3 Social and cultural learning environments. Retrieved from http://www.think.org.pl/images/pliki/Eduspaces-21-sok-eng.pdf.
- Fianchini, M., & Talamo, C. (2011). Edifici scolastici: Un patrimonio in stato critico. Facility Management Italia, 10, 21–31.Google Scholar
- Isabella, F. (1965). L’edilizia scolastica in Italia. Precedenti e prospettive. Firenze: La Nuova Italia.Google Scholar
- Leemans, G. (2009). Monitoring the quality of school buildings in belgium’s flemish community. CELE exchange, centre for effective learning environments 2009/08. Paris: OECD Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/220808504374.
- Leemans, G., & von Ahlefeld, H. (2013). Understanding school building policy and practice in belgium’s flemish communuity. OECD Education Working Paper No. 92. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=EDU/WKP(2013)7&docLanguage=En.
- MIUR. (2013). Norme tecniche-quadro, contenenti gli indici minimi e massimi di funzionalità urbanistica, edilizia, anche con riferimento alle tecnologie in materia di efficienza e risparmio energetico e produzione da fonti energetiche rinnovabili, e didattica indispensabili a garantire indirizzi progettuali di riferimento adeguati e omogenei sul territorio nazionale. Retrieved from http://www.indire.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/cs110413_all1.pdf.
- MIUR. (2014). Programma Operativo Nazionale Per la Scuola competenze e ambienti per l’apprendimento. Retrieved from http://www.miur.gov.it/documents/20182/890263/PON_14-20.pdf/b9ea8f70-0259-40e6-b086-b0ce6420daf6?pk_vid=26e93afef3f5045915489573993c668e.
- MIUR. (2015a). Anagrafe dell’Edilizia Scolastica. Retrieved from http://www.istruzione.it/allegati/2015/Slide_Anagrafe_Edilizia.pdf.
- MIUR. (2015b). Piano Nazionale Scuola Digitale (PNSD). Retrieved from http://www.miur.gov.it/documents/20182/21108/Piano+nazionale+scuola+digitale/5b1a7e34-b678-40c5-8d26-e7b646708d70?version=1.1.
- MIUR. (2016). Bando di concorso Scuole innovative. Retrieved from http://www.scuoleinnovative.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Bando-concorso-di-idee.pdf, visitato il 20/10/2016.
- MIUR. (2018). Scuole Innovative—Concorso di idee—proposte ideative premiate e menzionate. Retrieved from http://www.scuoleinnovative.it/il-libro-di-scuoleinnovative/.
- NAO. (2009). The building schools for the future programme: Renewing the secondary school estate. National Audit Office. Retrieved from https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/0809135.pdf.
- OECD. (2009). International pilot study on the evaluation of quality in educational spaces (EQES). User manual final version. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/education/innovation-education/evaluatingqualityineducationalfacilities.htm.
- Parque Escolar EPE. (2011). Parque escolar 2007–2011 Interventions in 106 schools. Retrieved from http://www.parque-escolar.pt/docs/empresa/livros/livros-pe-intervencao-em-106-escolas.zip.
- Scottish Future Trust. (2009). Lessons learnt: Scotland’s newest secondary schools. A practical review of design in Scotland’s newest secondary schools. Retrieved from https://www.scottishfuturestrust.org.uk/storage/uploads/Lessons_Learnt.pdf.
- Scottish Future Trust & BDP. (2012). Scotland’s schools for the future. Schools development handbook. Retrieved from https://www.gov.scot/publications/school-handbook-guidance/.
- SEP. (2004). Evaluation, building our future: Scotland’s school estate. Scottish Executive Edinburgh. Retrieved from https://www2.gov.scot/Resource/Doc/25954/0023742.pdf.
- Sulonen, J. (2009) The usability of contemporary finnish schools—InnoSchool. Retrieved from http://innoschool.tkk.fi/innoarch/dokumentit/the%20usability%20of%20contemporary%20finnish%20schoolsPIENI.pdf.