The European Parliament in the Nomination and Investiture of the Commission
In this chapter, we examine why and how the EP managed to expand its powers in the nomination and investiture of the European Commission from zero at the outset of European integration to a quasi-election of the Commission President using the Spitzenkandidaten procedure in 2014. This chapter provides evidence that the EP has been using a multitude of strategies to increase its rights in this area. Notably, the EP very successfully applied the strategies of unilateral action, an alliance with the Commission and national parliaments as well as an arena-linkage strategy to introduce informal institutional change in its favour. These were subsequently formalised in treaty changes, as the EP formed alliances with some member states.
KeywordsEuropean Commission European Parliament Investiture Moving first Spitzenkandidaten procedure
- Agence Europe. (1999, March 10). PE/Traité d’Amsterdam: les principales modifications du Règlement du PE approuvées afin de l’adapter au niveau traité.Google Scholar
- Barroso, J. M. D. (2012). State of the Union 2012 Address. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-12-596_en.htm. Accessed 12 Dec 2017.
- Conference of Parliaments Final Declaration. (1990, November 30). Declaration Finale. Conference of Parliaments of the European Community.Google Scholar
- Corbett, R. (1993). The Treaty of Maastricht: From Conception to Ratification: A Comprehensive Reference Guide. Harlow: Longman.Google Scholar
- Coreper Letter. (1997, January 29). Conférence des représentants des gouvernements des Etats Membres, copie – letter. Coreper.Google Scholar
- CVCE. (2017). The Signing of the Single European Act. https://www.cvce.eu/en/recherche/unit-content/-/unit/02bb76df-d066-4c08-a58a-d4686a3e68ff/6d24b681-9251-4e31-8246-6f6ada5bc5e9. Accessed 6 Nov 2017.
- EC Communication 2013 Re 2014 Elections. (2013). Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, Preparing for the 2014 European Elections: Further Enhancing Their Democratic and Efficient Conduct, COM/2013/0126 Final. Brussels: European Commission.Google Scholar
- EP & European Commission Framework Agreement. (2010). Framework Agreement on Relations Between the European Parliament and the European Commission. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:304:0047:0062:EN:PDF. Accessed 14 Dec 2017.
- EP Report 2013 Re 2014 Elections. (2013). Report PE 508.212v02-0, A7-0219/2013 on Improving the Practical Arrangements for the Holding of the European Election in 2014, 20132102(INI). Brussels: European Parliament.Google Scholar
- EP Resolution. (1992). European Parliament, 1992, Resolution B3-0931/RCI on the Appointment of the President of the Commission, 8 July 1992. Brussels: European Parliament.Google Scholar
- European Commission Commentaries. (1991). Commentaires sur le projet de traité du 8 Novembre 1991 élaborés par la présidence néerlandaise. European Commission.Google Scholar
- European Commission Internal Note (1991a, January). Internal Note of Commission Service.Google Scholar
- European Commission Internal Note. (1991b, May). Internal Note of Commission Service.Google Scholar
- European Commission Internal Note. (1992, June). Internal Note of the Commission Services.Google Scholar
- European Commission Internal Note. (1994, June). Internal Note of Commission Service.Google Scholar
- European Commission Internal Note. (1997, January). Internal Note of Commission service.Google Scholar
- European Commission Position for the Convention. (2002, September 25). Thème de la future Communication institutionnelle de la Commission – principales prises de positions exprimées à la Convention.Google Scholar
- European Council Conclusions (2009). Presidency Conclusions. http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/cooperate/danube/documents/council_conclusions.pdf. Accessed 14 Dec 2017.
- European Council Solemn Declaration. (1983). Solemn Declaration on European Union. https://www.cvce.eu/en/obj/solemn_declaration_on_european_union_stuttgart_19_june_1983-en-a2e74239-a12b-4efc-b4ce-cd3dee9cf71d.html. Accessed 14 Dec 2017.
- European Parliament Minutes. (1985, December 11). Minutes, European Parliament. Brussels: European Parliament.Google Scholar
- European Parliament Motion for a Resolution. (1981). Motion for a Resolution, on the Investiture and Programme of the Commission in 1981, DOCUMENT 1-888/80/rev. Brussels: European Parliament.Google Scholar
- European Parliament Resolution. (1980). European Parliament Resolution on the Relations Between the European Parliament and the Commission of the Community with a View to the Forthcoming Appointment of a New Commission, OJ C 117, 12-05-1980. Brussels: European Parliament.Google Scholar
- European Parliament Resolution (1990). Resolution Martin, doc PE 144/177/def. Brussels: European Parliament.Google Scholar
- European Parliament Rules of Procedure (1993, October). Rules of Procedure. Brussels: European Parliament.Google Scholar
- Interview 1. (2004). European Commission. Brussels, Belgium.Google Scholar
- Interview 2. (2004). Council. Brussels, Belgium.Google Scholar
- Jacobs, F. (1995). The European Parliaments Role in Nominating the Members of the Commission: First Steps Towards Parliamentary Government or US Senate-Type Confirmation Hearings. http://aei.pitt.edu/6950/. Accessed 6 Nov 2017.
- Moravcsik, A. (1993). Preferences and Power in the European Community: A Liberal Intergovernmentalist Approach. Journal of Common Market Studies, 31(4), 473–524.Google Scholar
- National Parliaments Etats de la reflexion sur la conference intergouvernementale. (1996, February 14). Etat de la reflexion des parlements nationaux sur la conference intergouvernementale de 1996. Brussels.Google Scholar
- Norman, P. (2003). From the Convention to the IGC (Institutions). Constitutional Online Papers, 28.Google Scholar
- Nugent, N. (2001). The European Commission. Basingstoke: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Pop, V. (2014, May 30). Merkel Endorses Juncker After All. EUObserver. https://euobserver.com/eu-elections/124420. Accessed 6 Nov 2017.