Drugs, Guns, and Organised Crime: A Case Study of the Journeyman Hitman
This chapter explores the 2010 assassination of Richard Deakin that was executed by David Harrison in Chasetown, West Midlands. The case study uses this murder to consider those contract killings which have been described as the work of ‘Journeymen’ hitmen (MacIntyre et al. in The Howard Journal of Criminal Justice 53: 325–340, 2014). In the previous chapter, I stated that there has been little academic research about ‘hitmen’ and the phenomenon of ‘contract killing’, with Schlesinger (Journal of Forensic Science 46: 295, 2001) forced to describe this form of murder as a ‘poorly understood type of homicide’. In this chapter, the tragic murder of Richard is used to reflect on criminal interactions in organised crime within the West Midlands and the nexus that organised crime has with fatal violence.
KeywordsCase study Contract killing David Harrison Drugs Entrepreneurship Guns Hitman/Hitmen History Homicide Interviews John Anslow Journeyman Murder Narratives Nexis Organised crime Richard Deakin Typology Violence West Midlands
- Bennett, J., Crewe, B., & Wahidin, A. (2007). Understanding Prison Staff. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Ellis, A. (2016). Men, Masculinities and Violence: An Ethnographic Study. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Express & Star. (2011). Lorry Hijackers Must Pay Back £89,000. Available at: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/03/28/lorry-hijackers-must-pay-back-89000/. Last accessed 7 July 2018.
- Express & Star. (2012a). Body Buried at Dudley Zoo, Murder Trial Told. Available at: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2012/11/22/body-buried-at-dudley-zoo-murder-trial-told/. Last accessed 14 July 2018.
- Express & Star. (2012b). Mother Vows to See All of Richard Deakin’s Killers Jailed. Available at: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2012/12/22/mother-vows-to-see-all-of-richard-deakins-killers-jailed/. Last accessed 11 July 2018.
- Express & Star. (2013). How Daring Plot to Bust John Anslow Out of Prison Sparked Worldwide Hunt. Available at: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/11/16/how-daring-plot-to-bust-john-anslow-out-of-prison-sparked-worldwide-hunt/. Last accessed 23 July 2018.
- Express & Star. (2014). Drug Baron John Anslow Sprung by Pals to Flee to Sun. Available at: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2014/03/26/drug-baron-john-anslow-sprung-by-pals-to-flee-to-sun/. Last accessed 29 July 2018.
- Express & Star. (2016). Crime Boss Who Helped Spring Drugs Kingpin John Anslow from Ordered to Pay Back £1.3m. Available at: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2016/09/16/crime-boss-who-helped-spring-drugs-kingpin-john-anslow-from-prison-ordered-to-pay-back-1-3m/. Last accessed 22 July 2018.
- Gall, C. (2018). Ex-gang Members Speak Out on Birmingham Gun Crime. Available at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-43570280. Last accessed 12 Jan 2019.
- Hall, S. (2012). Theorizing Crime and Deviance: A New Perspective. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Hobbs, D. (1995). Bad Business: Professional Criminals in Modern Britain. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Jameson, F. (1991). Postmodernism: The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism. Durham: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Katz, J. (1988). Seductions of Crime. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Levi, M. (2007). Violent Crime. In M. Maguire, R. Morgan, & R. Reiner (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Criminology (4th ed., pp. 687–722). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lichfield Mercury. (2014). John Anslow Not Guilty of Murder Following 2010 Killing of Burntwood Dad Richard Deakin. Available at: http://www.lichfieldmercury.co.uk/john-anslow-guilty-murder-following-2010-killing/story-20854621-detail/story.html. Last accessed 25 July 2018.
- Lockley, M. (2012a). Inside the Mind of the Contract Killer. Available at: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/richard-deakin-murder-trial-inside-381844. Last accessed 10 July 2018.
- Lockley, M. (2012b). Murder Charge Over Dad’s Shooting Dropped. Available at: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Murder+charge+over+dad%27s+shooting+dropped%3B+EXCLUSIVE-a0308018259. Last accessed 20 July 2018.
- Lockley, M. (2013). Police Knew Where Britain’s Most Wanted Man John Anslow Was Hiding for Weeks. Available at: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/police-knew-britains-most-wanted-1752888. Last accessed 21 July 2018.
- Lockley, M., & McCarthy, N. (2014). As Notorious Drugs Anslow Family Claim Dealer Put Behind Bars, He’s Just Like ‘Robin Hood’. Available at: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/As+notorious+drugs+Anslow+family+claim+dealer+put+behind+bars,+he’s…-a0363013281. Last accessed 29 July 2018.
- McCarthy, R. (2012a). Richard Deakin Murder Trial. Available at: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/richard-deakin-murder-trial-hired-309375. Last accessed 1 July 2018.
- McCarthy, R. (2012b). Richard Deakin Murder Trial. Available at: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/richard-deakin-murder-trial-accused-325739. Last accessed 23 July 2018.
- McCarthy, N. (2014). Midland Drug Dealer John Anslow Not Guilty of Richard Deakin Murder. Available at: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/richard-deakin-murder-john-anslow-6880084. Last accessed 25 July 2018.
- Naylor, R. (2004). Wages of Crime: Black Markets, Illegal Finances, and the Underworld Economy. New York: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Office for National Statistics. (2013). Area: Lichfield (Parish). Available at: http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=11125588&c=lichfield&d=16&e=61&g=6463512&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1398366983205&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2579&nsjs=true&nsck=false&nssvg=false&nswid=1276. Last accessed 24 Apr 2018.
- Pearson, J. (1972). The Profession of Violence: The Rise and Fall of the Kray Twins. London: HarperCollins.Google Scholar
- Ray, L. (2011). Violence and Society. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Stacey, A. (2014). Devastated Mum of Midland Murder Victim Reveals Anguish at Court Verdict. Available at: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/richard-deakin-murder-devastated-mum-6887404. Last accessed 14 July 2018.
- The Guardian. (2012). ‘Hitman’ and Getaway Driver Jailed for Life for Murder. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/dec/21/hitman-getaway-driver-jailed-life-murder. Last accessed 6 July 2018.
- Williams, P. (2001). Transnational Criminal Networks. In J. Arquilla & D. Ronfeldt (Eds.), Networks and Netwars: The Future of Terror, Crime and Militancy (pp. 61–97). Santa Monica, CA: RAND.Google Scholar
- Winlow, S. (2001). Badfellas: Crime, Tradition and New Masculinities. Oxford: Berg.Google Scholar