Control of Selected Operational Parameters of the Scraper Conveyor to Improve Its Working Conditions
The concept of controlling operational parameters of the conveyor, utilising the ability to adjust extension of telescopic trough of the conveyor and the ability to adjust the value of supply voltage frequency for drive motors is described. The control algorithm was designed to prevent unfavourable dynamical phenomena and dangerous loosening of the chain during the conveyor’s operation. On the basis of the rules describing developed algorithm, value of supply voltage frequency for the drive motor, located both at the return end and at the discharge end is adjusted. Another adjusted parameter is the extension of telescopic trough on the return drive. By adjusting parameters listed here, unfavourable loosening or excessive tension of the scraper chain are eliminated. Moreover, adjusting the value of the supply voltage frequency for drive motors may provide proper cooperation between them, preventing situations when one of the motors, the through scraper chain, loads the other one. In addition, changing frequency of voltage enables adjusting the motor’s rotary speed, and at the same time controlling the speed of the chain with the scrapers. Applying the control algorithm will allow to improve conveyor’s operation. It will also decrease its failure frequency and its wear and tear, by reducing frictional wear.
KeywordsMining industry Chain conveyor Armoured face conveyors (AFCs) Numerical simulations
The article is a result of the project realised within the doctoral grant financed by the KOMAG Institute of Mining Technology.
Calculations were made on the computers of Centrum Informatyczne Trójmiejskiej Akademickiej Sieci Komputerowej (Academic Computer Centre in Gdansk - TASK).
- 1.Development of a virtual model of a discrete model of the conveyor with the control test carried out numerical simulation model. The report of the research project ICON: system load balancing drives, high-performance scraper conveyors. Path software In-Tech, Gliwice (2012, unpublished)Google Scholar
- 2.Herbuś, K., Ociepka, P.: Analysis of the Hexapod Work Space using integration of a CAD/CAE system and the LabVIEW software. In: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 95 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/95/1/012096
- 3.Herbuś, K. Ociepka, P.: Integration of the virtual 3D model of a control system with the virtual controller. In: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 95, p. 012084 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Suchoń, J.: Mining scraper conveyors. The construction and use. Institute of Mining Technology KOMAG, Gliwice (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Szewerda, K., Świder, J., Herbuś, K.: Concept of the algorithm controlling the output of AFC. Maszyny Górnicze (Min. Mach.) 4, 93–103 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Szewerda, K.: The method of parameterisation and selection of algorithms for AFC’s control. The Ph.D. thesis, KOMAG Institute of Mining Technology (unpublished)Google Scholar
- 7.Ultra-Long Face Conveying: As longwalls get longer AFC challenges increase. International Mining, pp. 36–37, September 2007Google Scholar