Medical Nutrition Therapy and Evidence-Based Practice
- 517 Downloads
Evidence-based practice in medical nutrition therapy for kidney stones involves staying up-to-date on evidence-based practice guidelines. However, because there are limited practice guidelines in this area, it may be necessary to search and evaluate the primary literature to make practice decisions. Searching the literature starts with writing a question in PICO (population, intervention, comparison, outcome) format. Search results are then evaluated based on the study design, with randomized controlled trials considered to provide the best evidence. When primary literature is unavailable, strategies are reviewed for practitioners to systematically collect outcomes from their own practice in order to advance knowledge in this area.
KeywordsEvidence-based practice Evidence-based guidelines Hierarchy of evidence Research design Systematic reviews
- 1.Definition of Terms Workgroup of the Quality Management Committee. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Definition of Terms List. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. http://eatrightpro.org/~/media/eatrightpro%20files/practice/scope%20standards%20of%20practice/academydefinitionoftermslist.ashx. Updated 2017. Accessed 1 Dec 2017.
- 2.National Guideline Clearinghouse. Inclusion criteria. https://www.guidelines.gov/help-and-about/summaries/inclusion-criteria. Updated 2017. Accessed 1 Dec 2017.
- 4.Fink HA, Wilt TJ, Eidman KE, et al. AHRQ comparative effectiveness review number 61: recurrent nephrolithiasis in adults: comparative effectiveness of preventive medical strategies. Rockville: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2012; Report no. 12-EHC049-EF.Google Scholar
- 7.Core Curriculum in Nephrology. http://www.ajkd.org/content/corecurriculum. Updated 2017. Accessed 1 Dec 2017.
- 9.Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Evidence Analysis Library. Evidence analysis manual: steps in the academy evidence analysis process. 2016. Available from https://www.andeal.org/evidence-analysis-manual.
- 16.Code of federal regulations title 45 public welfare, department of health and human services part 46 protection of human subjects. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2016-title45-vol1/pdf/CFR-2016-title45-vol1-part46.pdf.