Productivity Increase in a Cellular Battery Line Using Lean Kaizen and Tools
Companies striving to compete in the market place, use many lean techniques to advance production and seek to achieve lower costs and higher competitiveness. The application of the Kaizen methodology, enticing a group of professionals to observe and analyze a problem, forward improvement suggestions and apply them, creates a new state on which further enhancements can be made. Together with the utilization of brainstorming and chrono-analysis tools, opportunities are identified and technically support the project. The work focused on a 5-week review of one manufacturing line that each day produced 833/h. Cylinder lithium cell batteries for mobile phone application. Yearly cost reduction of $15,000, with minimal $1.374 investment was achieved, resulting in 52.59% cycle time improvement.
KeywordsKaizen Lean manufacturing Brainstorming
This work has been supported by FCT—Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia within the Project Scope (UID/CEC/00319/2019).
- 1.Aoki, K.: Transferring Japanese Kaizen activities to overseas plants in China. Int. J. Oper. Prod. Manag. 28(6), 518–539 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Imai, M.: Kaizen: The Key to Japan’s Competitive Success, p. 260. McGraw-Hill Education, New York. ISBN 978-0075543329 (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.Walter, O.M.F., Tubino, D.F.: Assesment methods of lean manufacturing: literature review and classification. Prod. J. 20(1), 23–45 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Ohno, T.: Toyota Production System: Beyond Large-Scale Production. Productivity Press, Portland (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Bayou, M.E., Korvin, A.: Measuring the leanness of manufacturing systems—a case study of ford motors company and general motors. J. Eng. Technol. Manag. 25(4), 287–304 (2008). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2008.10.003
- 9.Dal Forno, A.J., Pereira, F.A., Forcelinni, F.A., Kipper, L.M.: Value stream mapping: a study about the problems and challenges found in literature from the past 15 years about application of lean tools. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 72, 779–790 (2014). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00170-014-5712-zCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Soares, J.P.M., Jardim, S.B., Lemos, F. de O.: Proposta para Racionalização de Recursos em célula de manufatura: Estudo de caso em uma empresa automotiva: Encontro Nacional de Engenharia de Produção, pp. 6–7 (2009)Google Scholar