A Practical Study of the Application of Value Stream Mapping to a Pre-series Production Area
Value Stream Mapping (VSM) is a well-known Lean Manufacturing tool used to support wastes identification and value creation. The purpose of this paper is to present the application of this tool to the setting up of a new pre-series production area. To do so, a case study is presented from the automotive plastic sector. In this case study, VSM was used to improve the implementation process of a pre-series production area operating in a project manufacturing or engineer-to-order environment. The objective was to improve the industrialization process in the pre-series phase in order to ensure that the industrialization of new projects is aligned with the needs of the clients. Through the use of the VSM tool, in a representative project, significant improvements were obtained in the process, such as processing times and lead times reduction.
KeywordsLean manufacturing Value stream mapping Pre-series phase Case study
This work was financially supported by the research unit on Governance, Competitiveness and Public Policy (project POCI-01-0145-FEDER-006939), funded by FEDER funds through COMPETE2020—POCI and by national funds through FCT—Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia.
- 2.Chen, C.S.: Concurrent engineer-to-order operation in the manufacturing engineering contracting industries. Int. J. Ind. Syst. Eng. 1(1/2), 37–58 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Cooney, R.: Is ‘lean’ a universal production system? Int. J. Oper. Prod. Manag. 22(10), 1130–1147 (2002). https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/10.1108/01443570210446342
- 4.Gosling, J., Naim, M.M.: Engineer-to-order supply chain management: a literature review and research agenda. Int. J. Prod. Econ. 122(2), 741–754 (2009). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925527309002394 (April 4, 2018)
- 5.LEI: Lean Lexicon: A Graphical Glossary for Lean Thinkers. 4th edn. Lean Enterprise Institute (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Liker, J., Meier, D.: The Toyota Way Fieldbook: A Practical Guide for Implementing Toyota’s 4Ps. Mc-Graw-Hill, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Rother, M., Shook, J.: Learning to See: Value Stream Mapping to Add Value and Eliminate Muda. The Lean Enterprise Institute (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Womack, J., Jones, D.: Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation. Simon & Schuster (2003)Google Scholar