Russia and the Rest
- 326 Downloads
The Soviet Union was once the most powerful nation in space, but taking on its role at the end of the Cold War, Russia has fallen behind the United States in space affairs. However, under President Vladimir Putin Russia has been sending messages that it is ready to rejoin the top club. But words are cheap –while going to the Moon is not!
- 1.“Russia’s Pivot to Asia”, The Economist Banyan Column, Nov. 26 2016 online at https://www.economist.com/asia/2016/11/26/russias-pivot-to-asia (Accessed Oct. 8, 2018).
- 2.Norris, P., Watching Earth from Space, Springer Praxis (Chichester, UK), 2010, pp252-254.Google Scholar
- 3.Hendrickx B, Russia’s evolving rocket plans, Space Review, Sept. 5, 2017 see http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3321/1 (Accessed Oct. 8, 2018).
- 4.Zak, A., “Russia Is Now Working on a Super Heavy Rocket of Its Own”, Popular Mechanics, Feb. 8, 2018, online at https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a16761777/russia-super-heavy-rocket/ (Accessed Oct. 8, 2018).
- 5.http://planet4589.org/space/papers/Edge.pdf (Accessed Oct. 8, 2018).
- 6.Kumar, C., India to launch first manned space mission by 2022: PM Modi, The Times of India, online at https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/india-to-launch-first-manned-space-mission-by-2022-pm-modi/articleshow/65410373.cms (Accessed Oct. 8, 2018).
- 7.Bagla, P., Modi-Macron Space Plan: India Partners France In Bold Vision For Space, NDTV, online at https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/modi-macron-space-plan-india-partners-france-in-bold-vision-for-space-1822293 (Accessed Oct. 8, 2018).
- 8.Mouriaux, P. F., “L’Inde se (re)positionne pour 2022,” Air & Cosmos, August 31, 2018, p39.Google Scholar
- 9.China National Space Administration press release, China welcomes all UN member states to jointly utilize its space station, May 30. 2018, see http://www.cnsa.gov.cn/n6443408/n6465652/n6465653/c6801729/content.html (Accessed Oct. 8, 2018).
- 10.Gorman, S., Rabiee M, NASA chief excited about prospects for exploiting water on the moon, Reuters, Aug. 22, 2018, online at https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nasa-bridenstine/nasa-chief-excited-about-prospects-for-exploiting-water-on-the-moon-idUSKCN1L7062 (Accessed Oct. 8, 2018).
- 11.Day, D, “There are no Russians there”, The Space Review, Nov. 26, 2018 online at http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3611/1 accessed Nov. 30, 2018.