Challenges and Joys in Adolescence
- 510 Downloads
This chapter continues the critical developmental approach outlined in Chap. 2, in this chapter focusing specifically on the challenges and joys faced by transgender adolescents. The chapter explores gender intensification theory as one way of understanding the challenges that transgender adolescents may face, but also draws attention to four areas where clinicians may encourage an attendant focus on positive growth through adolescence. The chapter presents two case studies focused on transgender adolescents, exploring topics such as disclosure, dysphoria, fertility preservation, and sexuality.
- Bellwether, M. (2010). Fucking trans women. Retrieved June 8, 2018, from http://fuckingtranswomen.org
- Pez, J. (2013). Dude magazine. Retrieved June 8, 2018, from https://dudemagazine.wordpress.com/download-issues/
- Pullen Sansfaçon, A., Hébert, W., Lee, E. O. J., Faddoul, M., Tourki, D., & Bellot, C. (2018). Digging beneath the surface: Results from stage one of a qualitative analysis of factors influencing the well-being of trans youth in Quebec. International Journal of Transgenderism, 19(2), 184–202.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Roen, K. (2018). Rethinking queer failure: Trans youth embodiments of distress. Sexualities. https://doi.org/10.1177/1363460717740257.
- Strauss, P., Cook, A., Winter, S., Watson, V., Wright Toussaint, D., & Lin, A. (2017). Trans pathways: The mental health experiences and care pathways of trans young people. Telethon Kids Institute, Perth.Google Scholar
- Taylor, G. L. (2015). Being trans: An interpretative phenomenological study of young adults. Unpublished Honours Thesis, Edith Cowan University.Google Scholar