Getting to coherent organizational responsibility (CORE) is a journey, which requires reengineering both organizational purpose and operational practice. This chapter outlines the principal ideas in the field of reengineering and uses them to outline the coherency journey. It looks at both the CSR organization and the coherently responsible organization at two different levels—abstract and system, showing what the five coherency pillars presented in Chapter 9 look like in each case. It explains how to begin the transformation from one to the other and outlines the different types of cognitive bias that prevent many firms from doing so.
KeywordsReengineering Abstract modeling Reverse engineering Forward engineering
- Arnold, R. S. (1993). Software reengineering. Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- Coca Cola. (n.d.). Mares Circulares, nuestro mayor plan de limpieza de costas y fondos marinos en España y Portugal. Coca-Cola ES. Retrieved January 3, 2019, from https://www.cocacolaespana.es/mares-circulares.
- Collins, J. C., & Porras, J. I. (2005). Built to last: Successful habits of visionary companies. New York, NY: Random House.Google Scholar
- Cosentino, V., Cabot, J., Albert, P., Bauquel, P., & Perronnet, J. (2012). A model driven reverse engineering framework for extracting business rules out of a java application. International Workshop on Rules and Rule Markup Languages for the Semantic Web, pp. 17–31.Google Scholar
- Hammer, M., & Champy, J. (1993). Business process reengineering (p. 444). London, UK: Nicholas Brealey.Google Scholar
- IHS Market. (2016). Global advertising revenue to hit $532 Billion in 2016 as TV’s reign nears its end, IHS markit says. IHS markit online newsroom. Retrieved February 15, 2019, from https://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-release/technology/global-advertising-revenue-hit-532-billion-2016-tvs-reign-nears-its-end-ihs.
- Meier, S., & Cassar, L. (2018). Stop talking about how CSR helps your bottom line. Harvard Business Review.Google Scholar
- Moorhead, J., & Nixon, T. (2016, June). Global 500 Greenhouse Gas Performance: 2010–2015. Thomson Reuters.Google Scholar
- Oxfam International. (n.d.). 5 shocking facts about extreme global inequality and how to even it up. Oxfam International. Retrieved January 3, 2019, from https://www.oxfam.org/en/even-it/5-shocking-facts-about-extreme-global-inequality-and-how-even-it-davos.
- Ruiz, M., España, S., & González, A. (2012). Model-driven organisational reengineering A framework to support organisational improvement. Informatica (CLEI), 2012 XXXVIII Conferencia Latinoamericana En, pp. 1–9.Google Scholar
- Tilston, N. (2004). CSR doesn’t matter–business profits do. London, UK: Ashridge Business School MBA Essay Award.Google Scholar
- Translate Media. (2016). The technology behind fortune global 500 companies. Retrieved February 15, 2019, from https://www.translatemedia.com/translation-blog/technology-behind-fortune-global-500-companies/.
- UNPCC. (2018). Global warming of 1.5 °C—. Retrieved January 23, 2019, from https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/.
- Visser, W. (2011). The age of responsibility: CSR 2.0 and the new DNA of business. London, UK: Wiley.Google Scholar
References for Case Study
- Ali Manik, J., & Yardley, J. (2013). Building collapse in Bangladesh leaves scores dead. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/25/world/asia/bangladesh-building-collapse.html?hp.
- Clean Clothes Campaign. (2016). Alliance for Bangladesh worker safety overstates progress while workers’ lives remain at risk. Clean Clothes Campaign. Retrieved February 27, 2019, from https://cleanclothes.org/news/2016/11/21/alliance-for-bangladesh-worker-safety-overstates-progress-while-workers-lives-remain-at-risk.
- GAP. (2017). Global sustainability report 2017. Retrieved from https://www.gapincsustainability.com/sites/default/files/GapInc.2017Report.pdf.
- Global Labor Justice. (n.d.). GAP gender based violence in garment supply chains. Retrieved February 20, 2019, from https://www.globallaborjustice.org/gap/.
- Phelan, H. (2013). Wal-Mart, gap fail to sign Bangladesh safety agreement—Fashionista. Fashionista. Retrieved from https://fashionista.com/2013/05/wal-mart-gap-and-topshop-fail-to-sign-bangladesh-safety-agreement.
- Ruben, Z. (2017). Four Years after Rana Plaza, new research brief spotlights lagging progress on workplace safety. NYU Stern Center for Business and Human Rights. Retrieved from https://bhr.stern.nyu.edu/blogs/four-years-after-rana-plaza?rq=ranaplaza.