Detection of Small Portions of Water in VIS-NIR Images Acquired by UAVs
Water bodies detection in aerial images is a problem widely known and explored in the literature. However, the detection of small portions of water in satellite images is not usual due to their low spatial resolution. With the increasing use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAVs), this task becomes feasible from the point of view of spatial resolution, but suffers from the problem of low spectral resolution of the acquired images. In this sense, we have new challenges in dealing with an old problem. In this work we proposed an approach that combines Visible (VIS) and Near Infrared (NIR) aerial images, commonly acquired by sensors used in UAVs, for providing an indicative index for detecting small portions of water. This approach also includes a scheme to reconstitute visible spectral bands contaminated by the use of a special lens, coupled to visible RGB camera, to provide NIR spectral band. Experimental results evidenced the good accuracy of proposed approach in mapping small portions of water such as pools and fountains in VIS-NIR images, even in the cases where there is only a thin layer of water.
KeywordsAerial images Small portions of water UAVs Spectral bands Genetic Algorithm
The authors would like to thank UNINOVE by financial support and CNPq for the research scholarship granted to S. A. de Araújo (Proc. 311971/2015-6).
- 1.Agarwal, A., Chaudhuri, U., Chaudhuri, S., Seetharaman, G.: Detection of potential mosquito breeding sites based on community sourced geotagged images. In: SPIE 9089, Geospatial InfoFusion and Video Analytics IV and Motion Imagery for ISR and Situational Awareness II (2014). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2058121
- 3.Capolupo, A., Pindozzi, S., Okello, C., Boccia, L.: Indirect field technology for detecting areas object of illegal spills harmful to human health: applications of drones, photogrammetry and hydrological models. Geospatial Health 8(3), 699–707 (2014). https://doi.org/10.4081/gh.2014.298
- 4.Colet, M.E., Braun, A., Manssour, I.H.: A new approach to turbid water surface identification for autonomous navigation. In: 24th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision (WSCG 2016), pp. 317–326 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Long, D., McCarthy, C.L., Jensen, T.: Row and water front detection from UAV thermal-infrared imagery for furrow irrigation monitoring. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), pp. 300–305 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Mehra, M., Bagri, A., Jiang, X., Ortiz, J.: Image analysis for identifying mosquito breeding grounds. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Communication and Networking (SECON Workshops), pp. 1–6 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1109/SECONW.2016.7746808
- 9.Oliveira, L.S.B., Bezerra, F.H.R.: Karstification fault identification in the potiguar using UAV/drone images. In: XVII Brazilian Symposium on Remote Sensing, pp. 6148–6152 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhao, Y., Deng, Y., Pan, C., Guo, L.: Research of water hazard detection based on color and texture features. Sens. Transducers 157(10), 428–433 (2013)Google Scholar