Analytical Comparison of Histogram Distance Measures
This paper presents a comparative study of different distance measures used to compare histograms in applications such as pattern recognition, feature selection, image sorting, grouping, identification, indexing, and retrieval. The focus of the study is on how distance measures are affected by variations across images. Different distances between histograms were investigated and tested to compare their performance in retrieving gray scale and color images. A wide range of review papers on calculating distances between histograms was examined. One comparative study was found where histogram bins having zero value were discarded in the calculus of certain distances. We show that this is an inappropriate approach; our tests revealed that zero-value bins should be included to avoid erroneous calculations and achieve a performance advantage over other distance measures.
KeywordsHistogram distances Bhattacharyya distance Color distance
This work was supported by project # 17-461-INT Universidad de Ibagué. We thank Professor Dolores Lopez of the Instituto de Neurociencias de Castilla y León, Universidad de Salamanca for providing the microscopy images.
- 2.Marín, P.: Estudio comparativo de medidas de distancia para histogramas en problemas de re-identificación (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Bhattacharyya, A.: On a measure of divergence between two statistical populations defined by their probability distributions. Bull. Calcutta Math. Soc. 35, 99–109 (1943). https://mathscinet.ams.org/mathscinet-getitem?mr=0010358MathSciNetzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 5.OpenCV Histogram Comparison. http://docs.opencv.org/2.4/doc/tutorials/imgproc/histograms/histogram_comparison/histogram_comparison.html. Accessed 30 June 2018
- 6.Kullback, S.: The Kullback-Leibler distance. Am. Stat. 41(4), 340–341 (1987)Google Scholar
- 7.Prashant, I.: Histogram comparison (2013). https://es.scribd.com/doc/168216107/Histogram-Similarity. Accessed 20 May 2018
- 8.Rasband, W.S., ImageJ. U. S. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA (1997–2016). https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/. Accessed 01 Aug 2018