Introduction to Environmental Modelling
- 562 Downloads
This chapter introduces the general definition and concept of environmental model. It describes adequately the different aspects of environmental model as it appears in different fields of academic and professional endeavours. It illustrates conceptual shortcoming of the subject-matter. Also, the dynamism of the environmental was considered with a specific example on atmospheric aerosol model (AAM). AAM is regarded as one of the most complex environmental model whose formulation, dispersion, transport and properties are exceptionally dynamic. Various examples on the AAM was considered for illustration.
- Ahmada, O. A. (2011). Modeling the dispersion of atmospheric pollutants dispersion using two dimensional advection diffusion equation, masters project submitted to University of Dar es Salaam, pp. 1–88.Google Scholar
- Bhatt, D., & Mall R. K. (2015). Surface Water Resources, Climate Change and Simulation Modeling. Aquatic Procedia 4, 730–738.Google Scholar
- Choo-in, S. (2001). Mathematical model for determining carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide concentration in street tunnel. M.Sc. Research, Thammasat University, Thailand. pp. 1–67.Google Scholar
- Church, J. A., Gregory, J. M., Huybrechts, P., Kuhn, M., Lambeck, K, Nhuan, M.T., Qin, D., & Woodworth, P. L. (2001). Changes in sea level. In J. T. Houghton, Y. Ding, D. J. Griggs, M. Noguer, P. J. van der Linden & D. Xiaosu (Eds.), Climate change 2001. The scientific basis (pp. 639–693). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Cullen, A. C., & Frey, H. C. (1999). Probabilistic techniques in exposure assessment: A handbook for dealing with variability and uncertainty in models and inputs. New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- Daitche, A., & Tamás, T. (2014). Memory effects in chaotic advection of inertial particles. New Journal of Physics, 16(073008), 1–35.Google Scholar
- DBW. (2018). Environmental modelling. https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Environmental_modelling. Accessed February 24th, 2018.
- Delft3D. (2018). Flexible mesh—Environmental modelling. https://www.deltares.nl/academy/delft3d-block-2a/. Accessed February 24th, 2018.
- Edwards, J. B., McKinnon, A. C., & Cullinane, S. L. (2009). Carbon auditing the ‘Last Mile’: Modelling the environmental impacts of conventional and online non-food shopping. http://www.greenlogistics.org/SiteResources/ee164c78-74d3-412f-bc2a-024ae2f7fc7e_FINAL%20REPORT%20Online-Conventional%20Comparison%20%28Last%20Mile%29.pdf.
- Emetere, M. E. & Akinyemi, M. L. (2018). Sea level change in seven stations on the upper Atlantic: Implication on environments. Journal of Physics: Conference Series.Google Scholar
- EVO. (2018). Environmental models. http://www.evo-uk.org/at-the-outset/evo-cloud-services-portals/environmental-models/. Accessed February 24th, 2018.
- FA. (2018). Models—Aviation environmental tools suite. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/research/models/. Accessed February 24th, 2018.
- Faccani, C., Rabier, F., Fourrie, N., Agust´ı-Panareda, A., Karbou, F., Moll, P., et al. (2009). The impact of the AMMA radiosonde data on the French global assimilation and forecast system. Weather and Forecasting, 24, 1268–1286.Google Scholar
- FES. (2018). Environmental modelling. https://www.fzp.czu.cz/en/r-9408-study/r-9495-study-programmes/r-9745-master-s-degree-programmes/r-9753-environmental-modelling. Accessed February 24th, 2018.
- Giuseppina, G. (2013). How far chemistry and toxicology are computational sciences? In Methods and experimental techniques in computer engineering (pp. 15–33). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-00272-9_2.
- Guwahati IIT. (2014). Advection-dispersion equation for solute transport in porous media. https://nptel.ac.in/courses/105103026/32. Accessed August 20th, 2018.
- He, Q., Li, C., Geng, F., Yang, H., Li, P., Li, T., et al. (2012). Aerosol optical properties retrieved from Sun photometer measurements over Shanghai, China. Journal of Geophysical Research, 117(D16204), 1–8.Google Scholar
- Hughes, A., Jackson, C., Mansour, M., Bricker, S., Barkwith, A., Williams, A., et al. (2011, May). Integrated modelling within the Thames Basin: Examples of BGS work (Poster). In Cities, catchments and coasts: Applied geoscience for decision-making in London and the Thames Basin. London, UK. http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/14267/.
- Jinduan, C., & Dominic, L. B, (2018). Forecasting hourly water demands with seasonal autoregressive models for real‐time application. Water Resources Research, 54(2), 879–894.Google Scholar
- Johnston, J. M., McGarvey, D. J., Barber, M. C., Laniak, G., Babendreier, J.E., Parmar, R., et al. (2011). An integrated modeling framework for performing environmental assessments: Application to ecosystem services in the Albemarlee Pamlico basins (NC and VA, USA). Ecological Modelling, 222(14), 2471–2484.Google Scholar
- Lanzi, E. (2017). The economic consequence of outdoor air pollution. http://www.htap.org/meetings/2017/2017_May_2-3/presentations/10_TFIAM%20-%20Economic%20consequences%20of%20air%20pollution%20v2.pdf.
- Logica. (2018). Enhancing waterfall process through V-model software development methodology. https://www.360logica.com/blog/enhancing-waterfall-process-through-v-model-software-development-methodology/. Accessed August 16th, 2018.
- National Research Council. (2007). Models in environmental regulatory decision making. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/11972.
- NOAA. (2015). http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/outreach/lesson_plans/. Accessed June 23rd, 2015.
- OECD. (2014). The cost of air pollution: Health impacts of road transport. Paris: OECD Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264210448-en.
- OECD. (2015). The economic consequences of climate change. Paris: OECD Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264235410-en.
- Ogola, P. F. A. (2007). Environmental impact assessment general procedures. Paper pre-sented at short course II on Surface Exploration for Geothermal Resources. Lake Naivasha: UNU-GTP and KENGEN, Kenya.Google Scholar
- Samiksha, S. (2017). Top 21 specialized branches of ecology—Discussed! http://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/environment/top-21-specialized-branches-of-ecology-discussed/3801. Accessed December 30th, 2017.
- Shettle, E. P., & Fenn, R. W. (1979). Models for the aerosols of the lower atmosphere and the effects of humidity variations on their optical properties. Environmental research papers, AFGL-TR-79-0214, No. 676, pp. 1–23.Google Scholar
- Strong Todd, J., & Zundel Alan, K. (2014). Limitations of one-dimensional surface water models. Journal of Undergraduate Research. http://jur.byu.edu/?p=10582.
- Sun T. Y., Gottschalk F., Hungerbuhler K., & Nowack B. (2014). Comprehensive probabilistic modelling of environmental emissions of engineered nanomaterials. Environmental pollution, 185, 69–76.Google Scholar
- WIKI. (2018). Environmental niche modelling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_niche_modelling. Accessed February 24th, 2018.
- Zhang, S., Di, X., Li, Y., & Bai, M. (2013). One-dimensional coupled model of surface water flow and solute transport for basin fertigation. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 139(3), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0000376.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, T., Ning, Xu, L., Guo, Y. H., & Yong, B. (2014). A global atmospheric contaminant transport model based on 3D advection-diffusion equation. Journal of Clean Energy Technologies, 2(1), 43–47.Google Scholar