Any orthopedic outreach situation in a resource-limited environment provides a number of opportunities for teaching, and few of them require the volunteer to be an academic or have a computer full of PowerPoint presentations. The wards, OPD, and operating rooms are great venues not only for teaching but are opportunities to better understand the local surgical problems and the barriers faced at all levels in delivering orthopedic care. The audience includes not just surgeons and residents but also nurses and techs and even the cleaners. In some countries nursing is a step to medical school, and in his home village, the ward cleaner is the local doctor (Fig. 6.1).
The authors would like to acknowledge Dr. Kaye Wilkins for a lifetime dedicated to improving the care of children with musculoskeletal injuries and also for his contributions to this chapter in the first edition of this book.
- 1.www.youtube.com – a general site for surgical and technical videos.
- 2.Wheeless’ textbook of orthopaedics www.wheelessonline.com free online textbook.
- 3.www.orthobullets.com a collaborative web site with videos, techniques, cases, post and venue for groups.
- 4.https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/onlineFirst Lancet Global Health – a monthly free on-line journal focusing on global health issues.
- 5.www.passioeducation.com from Washington University, St. Louis, specializes in videos detailing clinical evaluation and surgical treatment of nerve injuries and neurological conditions.
- 6.www.ota.org – web site of the Orthopedic Trauma Association with a large library of free videos showing surgical and non-surgical techniques of trauma management.
- 7.https://www.POSNAcademia.org – the education venue of the Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North America with a selection of videos on pediatric orthopedic topics.
- 8.https://journals.lww.com/jbjsoa/pages/default.aspx. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery open access online publication.
- 9.https://journals.lww.com/jaaosglobal/pages/default.aspx. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic surgeons Global Research and Review.
- 10.https://openorthopaedicsjournal.com. The Open Orthopaedics Journal.
- 11.https://www.aofoundation.org/Structure/education/online-cme/Pages/eLearning.aspx. The AO Foundation online teaching modules.