Cross-Sector Collaboration for Organizational Transformation: The Case of the National Library of Greece Transition Programme to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (2015–2018)
- 810 Downloads
2018 marked the year of the relocation of the National Library of Greece (NLG) from a centrally located 19th century neoclassical building, where it had been housed since 1903, to its new seaside premises at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC). After being in a state of neglect for almost 20 years, the NLG had to undergo a major transformation before it could move and be able to function in the new building; the collections had to be prepared for safe relocation, new services had to be designed, the public image of the Library needed to be revisited and staff skills had to be developed. The transition of the NLG to the new building was made possible thanks to a designated grant of €5 million from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF). The Transition Programme was carried out between 2015 and 2018 and was divided in 5 actions: 1. Collections Transition and Development, 2. Digital Services Development, 3. Public Library Department Design, 4. Audience Development and 5. Staff Training. The current paper gives an overview of this large scale, cross-sectoral Public-Private-People Partnership, focusing on the multidisciplinary projects that were designed and implemented, key challenges and successes, innovations and open-ended issues.
KeywordsTransition management Library innovation Relocation Digital transformation Audience development Public-Private-People partnerships Organizational change Service design
First and foremost, we would like to thank Dr. Filippos Tsimpoglou, NLG Director General, for his trust, constant support and excellent collaboration throughout the Transition Programme implementation. We would also like to thank Stavros Zoumboulakis, President of the NLG Supervisory Council, for his valuable advice and the members of the Transition Programme Management Board, particularly Professors George Bokos and Christos Skourlas for their valuable insights and continuous help.
Special thanks to the NLG Transition Team (Evi Stefani, Chrysanthi Vasiliadou, Varvara Moula) and the NLG Liaisons (Vasiliki Tsigouni, Panagiotis Paloukos, Eirini Pavlakou, Grigoris Chrysostomidis, Georgios Parlavantzas) for their important contribution to programme implementation. Additionally, we thank all NLG Project Teams and all NLG staff for embracing the vision for a new National Library.
We would also like to thank Eleni Liveriadou (Chief Operations Officer, F&P SNFCC) for her excellent collaboration and substantial contribution to the grant management.
Last but not least we would like to thank the Stavros Niarchos Foundation for making the Transition Programme possible and especially Eva Polyzogopoulou (Assistant Director of Programs & Operations, SNF) for her valuable contribution to overall implementation.
- 1.The Economist. https://www.economist.com/prospero/2018/05/14/libraries-that-speak-loudly?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/librariesthatspeakloudlyshelfawareness. Accessed 18 Sept 2018
- 2.The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jul/05/athens-cultural-centre-stavros-niarchos-renzo-piano-design. Accessed 18 Sept 2018
- 3.Laskaris, K.: Epitomi ton okto tou logou meron kai allon tinon anagkaion. Damilas and Paravicino, Milan (1476)Google Scholar
- 4.The International ISBN Agency Homepage. https://www.isbn-international.org/. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 5.Hellenic Parliament, Law 4452 (2017). https://www.e-nomothesia.gr/kat-ekpaideuse/nomos-4452-2017-phek-17a15-2-2017.html. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 6.Hellenic Academic Libraries Link Homepage. https://www.heal-link.gr/. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 7.Gkinni, Z., Tsaroucha, C., Sarris, N.: The National Library of Greece: Moving into a New Era, IFLA WLIC 2017 Libraries. Solidarity. Society. http://library.ifla.org/1654/1/170-gkinni-en.pdf. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 8.The International Council on Archives, the International Standard Archival Description. https://www.ica.org/en/isadg-general-international-standard-archival-description-second-edition. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 9.The OCLC Dewey Homepage. https://www.oclc.org/en/dewey.html. Accessed 19 Sept 2018
- 10.The Library of Congress Classification. https://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcc.html. Accessed 19 Sept 2018
- 11.Presentation of the Web Archive Project by the Athens University of Economic and Business at Naftemporiki Newspaper. https://www.naftemporiki.gr/story/1347787/protopora-prospatheia-glossologikon-poron-gia-tin-elliniki. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 12.Kathimerini Newspaper. http://www.kathimerini.gr/962504/article/epikairothta/ellada/hlektroniko-anagnwsthrio-apo-thn-e8nikh-vivlio8hkh-2500-titloi-sto-diadiktyo. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 13.Project Presentation by Dr. Eftihia Vraimaki, 9th OTS e-government Forum, 17 November 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faa0e4-rGt4. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 14.Public Tender on the Integrated Collections Management System. https://diavgeia.gov.gr/decision/view/%CE%A17%CE%9F%CE%9646%CE%A8%CE%962%CE%9C-%CE%9F%CE%A41. Accessed 18 Sept 2018
- 15.Design Thinking for Libraries. http://designthinkingforlibraries.com. Accessed 18 Sept 2018
- 16.De Moor, A., Van Den Assen, R.: Public libraries as social innovation catalysts. In: CONFERENCE 2013, Prato Community Informatics Research Network (CIRN) C, Monash Centre, Prato, Italy. https://communitysense.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/cirn2013_de-moor-van-den-assem_publ.pdf. Accessed 18 Sept 2018
- 17.Greek Libraries Network Homepage. https://network.nlg.gr/. Accessed 17 Sept 2018
- 18.Judson, A.: Changing behavior in Organizations: Minimizing Resistance to Change. Blackwell Publishings, Cambridge (1991)Google Scholar