The Role of Civil Society in Russian Public Diplomacy
- 215 Downloads
Without the participation of civil society institutions, all public diplomacy efforts in any country might utilize propaganda and lose the option of “soft power”. The understanding of this interconnection in Russian politics took place gradually, as the need for public diplomacy was recognized as part of a foreign policy strategy to craft a favourable image of the Russian Federation. The concept of civil society and its institutions required ideological and practical adaptation to Russian realities. At present, the place and role of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have been determined in the structure of society and public administration. Some NGOs have acquired the status of institutes and/or instruments of public diplomacy. These include (1) specialized institutions (Rossotrudnichestvo, the Gorchakov Foundation, etc.); (2) traditional networks with support from the Russian Federation and abroad (the Red Cross, Greenpeace, Sister Cities, etc.); and (3) an expert community. Also, among the subjects of public diplomacy should be attributed to prominent politicians, cultural figures, individual journalists and bloggers. In this aspect, the main problems in discourse on public diplomacy are (1) from the institutions—financing, difficulties in interaction at different levels, forecasting of current topics and risks; (2) from the side of civil society—distrust to institutions, lack of awareness and priority of internal problems.
KeywordsCivil society Non-governmental organizations Public diplomacy Soft power Russian legislation
- Alexy II. (2009). Russkaya pravoslavnaya cerkov’ v mire [The Russian Orthodox Church in the World]. International Affairs. Retrieved August 9, 2018, from https://interaffairs.ru/jauthor/material/77 [in Russian].
- Bekkuliev, R. (2015, September 4). Polozhenie nepravitel’stvennyh organizacij v Kyrgyzstane uhudshaetsya [The Situation of Non-governmental Organizations in Kyrgyzstan is Deteriorating]. Retrieved January 26, 2017, from http://golos.kg/?p=26524 [in Russian].
- Burlinova, N. (2014). Public Diplomacy of Russia: Practice and Problems of Formation. Vestnik analitiki, 3(57), 28–36. Retrieved August 7, 2018, from http://www.isoa.ru/docs/vestnik_2014-357.pdf [in Russian].
- Council of Young Diplomats Russian Foreign Ministry. (2019). Retrieved August 20, 2018, from http://smd-mid.ru/news/smi-o-nas [in Russian].
- Cull, N. J. (2006). “Public Diplomacy” before Gullion: The Evolution of a Phrase. The USC (University of Southern California) Center on Public Diplomacy (CPD). Retrieved May 15, 2018, from http://uscpublicdiplomacy.org/blog/public-diplomacy-gullion-evolution-phrase
- Danilov, A. (2010). Pervyj iz semi porokov NPO v Kazahstane—problema verifikacii [The First of Seven Vices of NGOs in Kazakhstan is the Problem of Verification]. Retrieved January 27, 2017, from http://rus.azattyq.org/content/seven_vice_kazakh_ngo_verification/2194690.html [in Russian].
- Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate (DECR). (2018, July 25). Predstaviteli Russkoj Pravoslavnoj Cerkvi prinyali uchastie v diskussii v ramkah Soveshchaniya rukovoditelej predstavitel’stv i predstavitelej Rossotrudnichestva za rubezhom, [Representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church Took Part in the Discussion at the Meeting of Heads of Representative Offices and Representatives of Rossotrudnichestvo Abroad]. Retrieved August 19, 2018, from http://smd-mid.ru/news/smi-o-nas [in Russian].
- Drobizheva, L. (2015). Kakim Russkij mir vidyat rossiyane [How the Russian world is Seen by Russians], The Russkiy Mir Foundation. Retrieved August 13, 2018, from https://russkiymir.ru/publications/193790/
- Federal Law of the Russian Federation. (2012). ‘O vnesenii izmenenij v otdel’nye akonodatel’nye akty Rossijskoj Federacii v chasti regulirovaniya deyatel'nosti nekommercheskih organizacij, ypolnyayushchih funkcii inostrannogo agenta’ [About Modification of Separate Legal Acts of the Russian Federation Regarding Regulation of Activity of the Non-profit Organizations Performing Functions of the Foreign Agent], ConsultantPlus. Retrieved January 29, 2017, from http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_132900/ [in Russian].
- Federal Law of the Russian Federation. (2015). ‘O nekommercheskih organizaciyah’ (s izmeneniyami na 30 dekabrya 2015 goda), [On Non-profit Organizations (as amended on 30 December 2015)], the Legal Information Consortium «Kodeks». Retrieved January 29, 2017, from http://docs.cntd.ru/document/9015223 [in Russian].
- Federal Law of the Russian Federation from May 23, 2015 N 129-FZ. (2015). ‘O vnesenii izmenenij v otdel’nye zakonodatel’nye akty Rossijskoj Federacii’ [About Modification of Separate Legal Acts of the Russian Federation], Garant. Retrieved January 29, 2017, from http://ivo.garant.ru/#/document/71035684/paragraph/1:1 [in Russian].
- Federal Law of the Russian Federation of 19.05.1995 N 82-FZ (ed. of 08.03.2015). (1995). ‘Ob obshchestvennyh ob”edineniyah’ [On Public Associations], ConsultantPlus. Retrieved January 29, 2017, from http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_law_6693/ [in Russian].
- InPearls.ru. (2019). Retrieved August 14, 2018, from http://www.inpearls.ru/author/victor+chernomirdin [in Russian].
- Kuzhekov, Zh. (2009). V kuluarah Grazhdanskogo foruma zagovorili o korrupcii v srede kazahstanskih NPO [On the Sidelines of the Civil Forum Talked about Corruption among Kazakh NGOs]. Retrieved January 27, 2017, from http://rus.azattyq.org/content/kazakhstan_ngo_forum_/1887203.html [in Russian].
- Lavrov, S. (2013). Prisutstvie rossijskih NPO v SNG ne sootvetstvuet potencialu [The Presence of Russian NGOs in the CIS Does Not Meet the Potential], Russkie.Org, 05.03.2013. Retrieved January 27, 2017, from http://www.russkie.org/index.php?module=fullitem&id=28664 [in Russian].
- Lavrov, S. (2018). Vystuplenie Ministra inostrannyh del Rossii S.V.Lavrova v hode vstrechi s predstavitelyami rossijskih nekommercheskih organizacij, Moskva, 15 iyunya 2018 goda [Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s Speech at the Meeting with Representatives of Russian Non-profit Organizations, Moscow, June 15, 2018]. Retrieved August 17, 2018, from http://www.mid.ru/ru/meropriatia-mid-rossii/-/asset_publisher/aLRfN6MT9msV/content/id/3260122 [in Russian].
- NAVINI. BY. (2015). Gosudarstvo ispol’zuet tretij sektor isklyuchitel’no v svoih interesah, [The State Uses the Third Sector Exclusively in Its Own Interests]. Retrieved January 27, 2017, from https://naviny.by/rubrics/society/2015/08/27/ic_articles_116_189605 [in Russian].
- Nye, J. S., Jr. (2004, February 8). The Benefits of Soft Power. Retrieved November 20, 2016, from http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/4290.html
- Stetsko, E. (2003). Non-governmental Organizations: A New Model of Inter-State Cooperation, Regional’nye organizacii: sovremennye tendencii razvitiya, [Regional Organizations: Current Development Trends], Moscow, C.212–242 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Stetsko, E. (2015). American Non-governmental Organizations: Their Types, Role and Impact on the Formation of Civil Society. Obshchestvo Sreda Razvitie, 1, 49–54. Retrieved August 19, 2018, from http://www.terrahumana.ru/arhiv/15_01/15_01_08.pdf [in Russian].
- Stetsko, E. (2016). Non-governmental Organizations in the EAU: The Intersection of “Soft Power”. Evrazijskij yuridicheskij zhurnal, 1(92), 61–65. Retrieved August 19, 2018, from https://eurasialaw.ru/en/2016/1-92-2016 [in Russian].
- Sungurov, A. (2007). Grazhdanskoe obshchestvo i ego razvitie v Rossii [Civil Society and Its Development in Russia]. Retrieved August 10, 2018, from http://shkola-munitcipalnogo-politika.ru/upload/files/hrestomatia/Sungurov_gr_ob.pdf [in Russian].
- The Civil Code of the Russian Federation, Article 50. (n.d.). Kommercheskie i nekommercheskie organizacii [Commercial and Non-profit Organizations]. Retrieved January 27, 2017, from http://www.gk-rf.ru/statia50 [in Russian].
- The Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation. (n.d.). Socially-Oriented Non-profit Organizations (SONCO). Retrieved January 27, 2017, from http://economy.gov.ru/minec/activity/sections/SocOrientNoncomOrg/ [in Russian].
- War and Peace. (2011, August 17). Non-governmental Organizations and Civil Society in Russia. Retrieved January 30, 2017, from http://www.warandpeace.ru/ru/reports/view/60892/ [in Russian].