The Qualitative Image: Urban Analytics, Hybridity and Digital Representation
High-precision analytical software, such as that used for medical imaging, can be also applied productively to the assessment of urban conditions such as pedestrian and vehicular flow. A prominent feature of this tool is its ability to offer a new and more abstract understanding of the material nature of the city. Drawing upon a range of scaled-up software procedures to illustrate capability, the chapter reveals how an analytical medical software tool can be adapted for use in alternative interdisciplinary contexts such as urban design. Using imagery captured from public domain webcams, it demonstrates how the upscaling and transferal of this digital tool from its original disciplinary role provides a new way of assessing the appropriateness of a proposed built intervention. It also reveals that the extension of this tool’s fine-grain, image-based analysis capabilities into a broader, more complex urban scale allows the more ambiguous and often-disregarded properties of city life to form part of a comprehensive and wholistic data set. The chapter concludes with the proposal that the synthesis of quantitative and qualitative data facilitated by this analytical platform exceeds the capability of urban assessment tools currently used by the discipline.
KeywordsMedical imaging Protocol Pixel Cross-disciplinary Qualitative Patterns Digital Colour Luminosity
- 21st Century Digital Art. http://www.digiart21.org/art/isee
- Charcoal Design. http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/pipette
- Chen, S. (2005). Freeware vs Shareware vs Open Source [Online]. Available: http://opensourcestrategies.blogspot.com.au/2005/09/freeware-vs-shareware-vs-open-source.html. Accessed 02/03 2013.
- Color Blender. http://mabblog.com/colorblender.html
- Ferreira, T., & Rasband, W. (2011). The ImageJ user guide. Bethesda: National Institutes of Health.Google Scholar
- Foley, J. D., Van Dam, A., Feiner, S. K., & Hughes, J. F. (2014). Computer graphics: Principles and practice. Upper Saddle River: Pearson Education Inc.Google Scholar
- GigaPixelCam X10. https://www.earthcam.net/products/gigapixelcamx10.php
- GNU Image Manipulation Program. http://www.gimp.org
- Gregg, M., & Seigworth, G. J. (2010). An inventory of shimmers. In M. Gregg & G. J. Seigworth (Eds.), The affect theory reader (pp. 1–25). Durham: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- ImageJ. https://imagej.net/Fiji.
- ImageJ: Image Processing and Analysis in Java. http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/.
- Klette, R., & Rosenfeld, A. (2004). Digital geometry: Geometric methods for digital picture analysis. Amsterdam/Boston: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Kruegle, H. (2011). CCTV surveillance: Video practices and technology. Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Kurgan, L. (2013). Close up at a distance: Mapping, technology, and politics. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Macarthur, J. (2000). From the air: Collage City, aerial photography and the picturesque. In M. Ostwald & J. S. Moore (Eds.), Re-framing architecture: Theory, science and myth. Sydney: Archadia Press.Google Scholar
- PixelMath Software. http://pixels.cs.washington.edu/PixelMath/pmdownload/request.php.
- Poynton, C. (2012). Digital video and HD: Algorithms and interfaces. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Raw Therapee. http://www.rawtherapee.com/.