The Legal Framework on Diversity and Equality
- 379 Downloads
This chapter offers a critical evaluation of the British legal framework and how the law has been used to address discrimination in the workplace. The equality and diversity legal framework policies go beyond the employment and prohibit any form of discrimination in the workplace. The chapter provides a critical analysis of the current legal framework as we attempt to assess how organisations have adopted the legal obligations in an attempt to establish fair working practices. Analysis shows that there is a need to advance further our knowledge on the role of hard and soft laws and assess whether the current legal framework might create sources of ‘hidden’ inequality in the workplace.
KeywordsDiversity Equality Legal framework Organisational action
- Acas. 2018. The equality act. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3017. Accessed 12 Mar 2018.
- Bar Council. 2013. Equality and diversity guides subconscious bias. https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/media/260986/subconscious_or_unconscious_bias_e_d_guidance_november_2013.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan 2019.
- Barth, I., and A. Wagner. 2017. Physical appearance as invisible discrimination. In Management and diversity. International perspectives on equality, diversity and inclusion, ed. C. Jean-François and M.F. Özbligin, 127–146. Emerald Publishing.Google Scholar
- BBC. 2018. ‘It’s Dr, not Ms,’ Insists historian. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44496876. Accessed 15 June 2018.
- CIPD. 2012. Managing diversity: Linking theory and practice to business performance. London: Charter Institute of Personnel and Development.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. Why are there so few women at the top? https://www.cipd.co.uk/Images/why-are-there-so-many-women-at-the-top_2016-april_tcm18-14006.pdf. Accessed 12 Mar 2018.
- ———. 2017. Employment regulation in the UK: Burden or benefits. https://www.cipd.co.uk/Images/employment-regulation-in-the-UK_2017-burden-or-benefit_tcm18-21622.pdf. Accessed 12 Mar 2018.
- Financial Times. 2018. Three out of four UK companies pay men more than women on average. https://www.ft.com/content/896928e4-3897-11e8-8b98-2f31af407cc8. Accessed 31 Jan 2019.
- Kumra, S., and S. Manfredi. 2012. Managing equality and diversity theory and practice. London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Loukopoulou, K. 2017. Snobbery against regional accents is hurting university teaching. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/opinion/snobbery-against-regional-accents-hurting-university-teaching. Accessed 12 Mar 2018.
- Meadows, A. 2010. Discrimination against fat people is so endemic, most of us don’t even realise it’s happening. https://theconversation.com/discrimination-against-fat-people-is-so-endemic-most-of-us-dont-even-realise-its-happening-94862. Accessed 12 Mar 2018.
- Monks, K. 2007. The business impact of equality and diversity: The international evidence. Dublin: Employment Authority & the National Centre for Partnership and Performance.Google Scholar
- People Management. 2018. Government opens full women-at-work sexual harassment probe after urgent calls for action. https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/news/articles/government-women-sexual-harassment-probe. Accessed 12 Mar 2018.
- Shaffer, G., and M. Pollack. 2011. Hard versus soft law in international security. Boston College Law Review 52: 1147–1241.Google Scholar
- Tomlinson, F., and C. Schwabenland. 2010. Reconciling competing discourses of diversity? The UK non-profit sector between social justice and the business case. Organisation 17: 101–121.Google Scholar