MainTrain: A Serious Game on the Complexities of Rail Maintenance
Commuters who travel by train often feel annoyed due to misunderstanding the causes of delays in train traffic. They oftentimes are unaware of the necessity of performing maintenance to stations, tracks, and trains. MainTrain is a serious game developed to teach commuters about rail-maintenance while simulating the difficulty of keeping passengers happy. It is a fast-paced strategy game with a top-down view in which a player can perform maintenance actions on stations, tracks, and trains. By using commuter happiness as a base metric, MainTrain attempts to elicit empathy from players dissatisfied with scheduled maintenance so that they gain a better appreciation of the need for scheduled maintenance. This is coupled with the need to schedule maintenance for several components of a rail network, encumbering a player while teaching them about different aspects of rail maintenance. To examine the effectiveness of the game, the results of a user study are presented.
KeywordsSerious game Educational game Rail maintenance
Firstly, we would like to thank the project team, Kanav Anand, Floris Doolaard, Jesse Tilro, Tim Yue, for their time and patience whilst designing the MainTrain with us. Secondly, we are extremely grateful to Pawel Kolodziejczyk, who framed the project and gave insight into the world of rail maintenance. Lastly, we would like to express gratitude for the game testers - you provided us with the all too needed points of improvement.
- 1.2K Games and Firaxis Games: Sid Meier’s Railroads! Windows PC version (2006). https://www.2kgames.com/railroads/
- 2.Buckley, K.E., Anderson, C.A.: A theoretical model of the effects and consequences of playing video games. In: Vorderer, P., Bryant, J. (eds.) Playing video games - motives, responses, and consequences, pp. 363–378. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, Mahwah (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Buiel, E.F.T., et al.: Synchro mania - design and evaluation of a serious game creating a mind shift in transport planning. In: Proceedings of the International Simulation and Gaming Association’s 46th International Conference, pp. 1–12 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Dinosaur Polo Club. Mini Metro: Windows PC version (2015). https://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/
- 10.Malthaner, H.: Simutrans - Transport Simulator. Windows PC version (1999). https://www.simutrans.com/en/
- 14.Nunez, A., Hendriks, J., Li, Z., De Schutter, B., Dollevoet, R.: Facilitating maintenance decisions on the Dutch railways using big data: the ABA case study. In: Proceedings - 2014 IEEE International Conference on Big Data, IEEE Big Data 2014, pp. 48–53. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Soft Pro Trend. Railroad X, Windows PC version (2014). http://www.railroad-x.com
- 18.Tsuchiya, R., Sugiyama, Y., Yamauchi, K., Fujinami, K., Arisawa, R., Nakagawa, T.: Route-choice support system for passengers in the face of unexpected disturbance of train operations. In: WIT Transactions on the Built Environment, pp. 189–197 (2006)Google Scholar
- 20.Wallen, K.R.: How can improvements be made to the United States metrorail system (with a focus on the Washington metropolitan area transit authority metrorail system) to enhance safety for its riders. Technical report, US Army Command and General Staff College Fort Leavenworth, United States (2016)Google Scholar