A Novel Steganalysis of Steghide Focused on High-Frequency Region of Audio Waveform
In this study, steganalysis of steghide embedded in Microsoft RIFF waveform audio format (WAV) data is investigated. Spectral analyses show that the conventional steganalysis utilize the statistics of high-frequency regions and silent temporal segments of the target signals intentionally or unintentionally. Moreover, the frequency components just below the Nyquist frequency are important for statistic-based steganalysis in terms of the signal-to-noise ratio where the signal corresponds to the distortion components induced by data hiding, and the noise corresponds to the cover signal. A novel steganalysis making full use of the high- frequency features is proposed, and its detection performance is compared with the conventional method, which showed the best performance so far. The results show that the proposed steganalysis outperforms the conventional method for cover data of 100 music signals and 320 speech signals mixed with background noises.
KeywordsSignal-to-noise ratio Anti-aliasing filter Spectral analysis Information hiding Covert communication
This work was supported by a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research C (JSPS KAKENHI 18K11301), 2018.
- 1.Chang, C.C., Lin, C.J.: LIBSVM - a library for support vector machines, December 2016. http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm
- 2.Djebbar, F., Ayad, B.: A new steganalysis method to detect information hiding in speech. In: Proceedings of 13th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), pp. 1879–1884 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Ghasemzadeh, H., Arjmandi, M.K.: Reversed-Mel cepstrum based audio steganalysis. In: Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Computer and Knowledge Engineering (ICCKE), pp. 679–684 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Goto, M., Hashiguchi, H., Nishimura, T., Oka, R.: RWC music database: music genre database and musical instrument sound database. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR 2003), pp. 229–230 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.ITU-T: ITU-T recommendation P.50 Appendix I: Artificial voices; test signals (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Ru, X.M., Zhang, H.J., Huang, X.: Steganalysis of audio: attacking the steghide. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, pp. 3937–3942 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Thiemann, J., Ito, N., Vincent, E.: DEMAND: Diverse environments multichannel acoustic noise database (2013). http://parole.loria.fr/DEMAND/
- 13.USA Today: Terror groups hide behind web encryption, 5 February 2001. https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/2001-02-05-binladen.htm