This chapter reviews the major themes and insights of the book and provides a glimpse into cutting-edge and future research in urban ecology.
KeywordsResilience Social-ecological-technical systems Big data Visioning Collaboration
I would like to thank Myrna Hall for her review and suggestions which improved this chapter.
The research described herein was developed by the author, an employee of the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), on his own time. It was conducted independent of EPA employment and has not been subjected to the Agency’s peer and administrative review. Therefore, the conclusions and opinions drawn are solely those of the author and are not necessarily the views of the Agency.
- 1.Washburn D, Sindhu U, Balaouras S, Dines RA, Hayes N, Nelson LE (2009) Helping CIOs understand “smart city” initiatives. Growth 17:1–17Google Scholar
- 2.Array of Things (2018) Array of things. University of Chicago. https://arrayofthings.github.io/index.html. Accessed 30 Nov 2018
- 3.Fussell S (2018) The city of the future is a data-collection machine. https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/575551/. Accessed 3 Dec 2018
- 5.100 Resilient Cities (2018) About us. 100 Resilient Cities. http://www.100resilientcities.org/about-us/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018
- 6.Wharton K (2015) Resilient cities: from fail-safe to safe-to-fail. https://research.asu.edu/stories/read/resilient-cities-fail-safe-safe-fail. Accessed 30 Nov 2018
- 8.Kim Y, Eisenberg D, Bondank E, Chester M, Mascaro G, Underwood S (2017) Safe-to-fail climate change adaptation strategies for phoenix roadways under extreme precipitation. In: International conference on sustainable infrastructure 2017, pp 348–353Google Scholar
- 11.Forrester J (1961) Urban Dynamics, MIT Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar