The Dominican Republic
This chapter examines the American intervention in the Dominican crisis of 1965. The first part of the chapter outlines the buildup to the intervention and the subsequent American invasion. The second part of the chapter evaluates the degree to which the intervention was truly focused on delivering democracy to the country. It first attempts to identify the degree that a desire to install democracy played in the Johnson administration’s decision to intervene. Subsequently, it investigates the degree to the post-intervention American actions were focused on delivering democracy in the Dominican Republic.
KeywordsDominican Republic Johnson Democracy Intervention United States
- Allison, Graham T. 1971. Essence of Decision: Explaining the Cuban Missile Crisis. 1st ed. Boston, MA: Little Brown.Google Scholar
- Atkins, G. Pope, and Larman C. Wilson. 1998. The Dominican Republic and the United States: From Imperialism to Transnationalism. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.Google Scholar
- Beigbeder, Yves. 1994. International Monitoring of Plebiscites, Referenda, and National Elections: Self-Determination and Transition to Democracy. Dordrecht: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers.Google Scholar
- Chester, Eric T. 2001. Rag-Tags, Scum, Riff-Raff, and Commies: The U.S. Intervention in the Dominican Republic, 1965–1966. New York: Monthly Review Press.Google Scholar
- Crandall, Russell C. 2008. The United States and Latin America After the Cold War. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Freedom House. 2018. Freedom in the World 2018. https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2018/dominican-republic.
- Gleijeses, Piero. 1978. The Dominican Crisis. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Gomez, Salvador E. 1997. “The US Invasion of the Dominican Republic: 1965.” Sincronia (Online) 1 (2). http://sincronia.cucsh.udg.mx/dominican.html.
- Hartlyn, Jonathan. 1998. The Struggle for Democratic Politics in the Dominican Republic. Raleigh: University of North Carolina Press.Google Scholar
- Lowenthal, Abraham. 1972. The Dominican Intervention. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1991. Exporting Democracy: The United States and Latin America. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Mcpherson, Alan. 2015. “The Dominican Intervention, Fifty Years On.” Passport: The Newsletter of the SHAFR (April): 31–34.Google Scholar
- Slater, Jerome. 1967. Intervention and Negotiation: The United States and the Dominican Revolution. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar