Automated Multi-Swarm Networking with Open Baton NFV MANO Framework
Container-based Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and multi-site/multi-cluster service orchestration are a critical topic in the field of ICT infrastructure. Academia, Industry and Open Source projects are actively working on the technology. With the trends, Open Baton, an implementation of the ETSI NFV MANO Reference Architecture, started efforts to orchestrate network services over multiple Docker Swarm clusters. To achieve that, Open Baton would require an additional feature to configure an overlay networking over multiple swarm clusters, since Docker Swarm does not support multi-cluster service. In this paper, we discuss our design and implementation of the Multi-Swarm Networking Helper in Open Baton, which configures an L2 overlay networking over multiple Docker Swarm clusters by leveraging on a third-party Docker networking driver.
KeywordsMulti-cluster networking Container networking Service orchestration with NFV MANO
This work was supported by Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion (IITP) grants funded by the Korea government (MSIT) (No. 2015-0-00575, Global SDN/NFV Open-Source Software Core Module/Function Development and No. 2017-0-00421, Cyber Security Defense Cycle Mechanism for New Security Threats), by Fraunhofer FOKUS and Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz. Shin acknowledges Erasmus Mundus TEAM Programme for financial and administrative supports during mobility in Fraunhofer FOKUS.
- 1.ETSI: Network Function Virtualisation (NFV); Terminology for Main Concepts in NFV. ETSI GS NFV 003 v1.2.1, ETSI Group Specification, December 2014Google Scholar
- 2.Carella, G.A., Magedanz, T.: Open Baton: a framework for virtual network function management and orchestration for emerging software-based 5G networks. IEEE Newsletter, July 2016Google Scholar
- 3.Felter, W., Ferreira, A., Rajamony, R., Rubio, J.: An update performance comparison of virtual machines and Linux containers. In: Proceedings of 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software, pp. 171–172. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Francescon, A., Baggio, G., Fedrizzi, R.: X-MANO: cross-domain management and orchestration of network services. In: Proceedings of 2017 IEEE Conference on Network Softwarization. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Vilata, R., et al.: Fully automated peer service orchestration of cloud and network resources using ACTN and CSO. In: Proceedings of Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Bonafiglia, R., Castellano, G., Cerrato, I., Risso, F.: End-to-end service orchestration across SDN and cloud computing domains. In: Proceedings of 2017 IEEE Conference on Network Softwarization. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.ETSI: Network Function Virtualisation (NVF); Management and Orchestration, ETSI GS NFV 001 v1.1.1. ETSI Group Specification, December 2014Google Scholar
- 9.Shin, J., Kim, J.: K-Cluster-based Playground for SDN/NFV/Cloud Integration. In: Proceedings of the 27th Joint Conference on Communications and Information, KICS (2017)Google Scholar