The Essential Features of 21st Century Biolaw
The rapid pace in the progression of life sciences pushes law in one of its most significant intrinsic features: the principle of certainty. While uncertainty and the modifiability of its results are of normal currency in life sciences, they are especially problematic in law, jeopardizing the very essence of equality and non-discrimination. It is also worth mentioning that life sciences work on a very diverse set of materials and cases that usually differ from each other. Any even minimum specific traits of bio-objects must be considered so as to avoid an undifferentiated and therefore unreasonable legal regulation. Law as a codified set of general principles also suffers from this perspective. Taking the above into consideration, this chapter proposes a number of coordinates, which can give biolaw the necessary features to cope with a difficult, ever-changing and very specific dimension of human knowledge—building, in this way, an open, updated and attentive biolaw for 21st Century life sciences.
- Baron, J. (2006). Against bioethics. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Binet, J. R. (2012). La réforme de la loi bioéthique: commentaire et analyse de la loi n. 2011-814 du 7 juillet 2011 relative à la bioèthique. Paris: Lexis Nexis.Google Scholar
- Cyranoski, D. (2016). Chinese scientists to pioneer first human CRISPR trial. Gene-editing technique to treat lung cancer is due to be tested in people in August, Nature News. Online http://www.nature.com/news/chinese-scientists-to-pioneer-first-human-crispr-trial-1.20302. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- Cyranoski, D., & Reardon, S. (2015). Chinese scientists genetically modify human embryos. Protein and Cell. Nature News. Online https://www.nature.com/news/chinese-scientists-genetically-modify-human-embryos-1.17378. Accessed July 12, 2016.
- Dworkin, R. B. (1996). Limits. The role of the law in bioethical decision making. Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy, 1(2), 180–181.Google Scholar
- ECHR (2011) refers to the European Court of Human Rights Case of S.H. and Others v. Austria (app. No. No. 57813/00; 3 November 2011).Google Scholar
- Italian National Bioethics Committee. Neuroscience and pharmacological cognitive enhancement: Bioethical aspects. http://presidenza.governo.it/bioetica/eng/opinions.html. Accessed July 25, 2016.
- Jasanoff, S. (2016). The ethics of invention: Technology and the human future. New York: W.W. Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- McLean, S. A. M. (2015). Mitochondrial DNA transfer. Some reflections from the United Kingdom. BioLaw Journal, 2, 81–88.Google Scholar
- Minister R. Bachelot inaugural speech is quoted in A. Graf (Rapporteur général) Rapport final. Etats généraux de la bioéthique, July 01 2009.https://www.ladocumentationfrancaise.fr/var/storage/rapportspublics/094000347.pdf.
- National Institute on Aging of the US Department of Health and Human Services. https://www.nia.nih.gov/research/publication/global-health-and-aging/living-longer. Accessed July 25, 2016.
- Nuffield Council on Bioethics. (2014). The culture of scientific research in the UK. http://nuffieldbioethics.org/project/research-culture/. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- Olver, I. (2015). Why we should consider whether it’s time to allow sex selection in IVF. The Conversation, 24.Google Scholar
- Penasa, S. (2015). La legge della scienza: nuovi paradigmi di disciplina dell’attività medico-scientifica. Uno studio comparato in materia di procreazione medicalmente assistita. Napoli: Editoriale Scientifica.Google Scholar
- Pinker, S. (2015, Aug 01). The moral imperative for bioethics. The Boston Globe.Google Scholar
- Pound, R. (1923). Interpretations of legal history. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Reber, B. (2009). Introduction. Analyses des États Généraux de la Bioéthique, Le droit pénal. Archives de philosophie du droit, 53, 275.Google Scholar
- Veronesi, P. (2007). Il corpo e la Costituzione. Concretezza dei casi e astrattezza della norma. Milano: Giuffrè.Google Scholar
- Wall Street Journal. http://www.wsj.com/articles/fertility-clinics-let-you-select-your-babys-sex-1439833091. Accessed July 10, 2016.
- Zagrebelsky, G. (1992). Il diritto mite. Legge, diritti, giustizia. Torino: Einaudi Contemporanea.Google Scholar