In Situ Characterization at High Temperature of VDM Alloy 780 Premium to Determine Solvus Temperatures and Phase Transformations Using Neutron Diffraction and Small-Angle Neutron Scattering
New Ni-based superalloy VDM 780 Premium has been developed for higher service temperatures than the alloy 718. This paper describes the properties of this alloy by means of in situ neutron diffraction (ND) and in situ small-angle neutron scattering (SANS) measurements supported by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) images. ND experiments show the phases present in the alloy and their evolution with temperature, which allow us to derive their respective solvus temperatures and the misfit between the hardening phase and the matrix and its change with temperature.
KeywordsNi-based superalloy High-temperature alloy In situ neutron diffraction In situ small-angle neutron scattering
Financial support of this work via the BMBF Project 05K16WO2 is kindly acknowledged.
- 4.Mukherji D, Del Genovese D, Strunz P, Gilles R, Wiedenmann A, Rösler J (2008) Microstructural characterisation of a Ni-Fe-based superalloy by in situ small-angle neutron scattering measurements. J Phys Condens Matter 20(10):104220Google Scholar
- 10.Fedorova T, Rösler J, Kloewer J, Gehrmann B(2014) Development of a new 718-type Ni-Co superalloy family for high temperature applications at 750 °C. Paper presented at the 2nd European symposium on superalloys and their applications, Giens, France, 12–16 May 2014. In: MATEC Web Conference, vol 14, p 01003CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Fedorova T, Rösler J, Gehrmann B, Kloewer J (2014) Invention of a new 718-type Ni-Co superalloy family for high temperature applications at 750 °C. Paper presented at the 8th international symposium on superalloy 718 and derivates, Pittsburgh, PA, 28 Sep–01 Oct, TMS 2014, pp 587–599Google Scholar
- 19.Kohlbrecher J (2012) SASfit: a program for fitting simple structural models to small angle scattering dataGoogle Scholar
- 20.Hofmann M, Seidl GA, Rebelo-Kornmeier J, Garbe U, Schneider R, Wimpory RC, Wasmuth U, Noster U (2006) Paper presented at the 7th European conference on residual stresses (ECRS 7), Berlin, 13–15 Sep 2006. Mater Sci Forum. Trans Tech Publ 524–525:211–216Google Scholar
- 21.Strunz P, Petrenec M, Davydov V, Polák J, Beran P (2013) Misfit in inconel-type superalloy. Adv Mater Sci Eng 408347Google Scholar
- 25.Krakow R, Johnstone DN, Eggeman AS, Hünert D, Hardy MC, Rae CMF, Midgley PA (2017) On the crystallography and compositionGoogle Scholar
- 29.Caron P (2000) High gamma′ solvus new generation nickel-based superalloys for single crystal turbine blade applications. Paper presented at the 9th international symposium on superalloys, Champion, PA, 17–21 Sep 2000, pp 737–746Google Scholar