Two Fibers Used in the Colombian Amazonia and Their Use as Potential Reinforcement for Composite Materials
This investigation present results about the use of four natural fibers used in the Colombian Amazonia, particularly from the Guainia State, and their potential use as reinforcement in natural composite materials. This and other regions have been poorly explored because there was a large-scale conflict in the area, which has recently finalized. Indigenous people have been using these fibers for millenniums in many used that includes weapons, food preparation, ornaments, bags, and many others presented here. Particular attention is given to the fibers potentially for engineering applications. These natural materials were studied with scanning electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction techniques. Tensile tests and fiber stability are also presented.
KeywordsWaste tire rubber Composites Polyurethane Mechanical characterization
The authors thank the indigenous community El Remanso and the people from Guainia for their cooperation and kindness in share their knowledge with us.
- 1.Smith N (2014) Palms and people in the Amazon. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- 2.Pickering K (ed) (2008) Properties and performance of natural-fibre composites. ElsevierGoogle Scholar
- 4.Pereira AC, Monteiro SN, Assis FS, Colorado HA (2017) Charpy toughness behavior of fique fabric reinforced polyester matrix composites. Charact Miner Metals Mater 2017. Springer, Cham, pp 3–9Google Scholar
- 7.Coloradoa HA, Coloradoa SA, Buitrago-Sierrab R (2015) Portland cement with luffa fibers. In: Developments in strategic ceramic materials: a collection of papers presented at the 39th international conference on advanced ceramics and composites, January 25–30, 2015, Daytona Beach, Florida, vol 604. Wiley, p 103Google Scholar
- 9.Fibras vegetales: elemento básico de las artesanías. http://www.artesaniasdecolombia.com.co/PortalAC/C_noticias/fibras-vegetales-elemento-basico-de-las-artesanias_5079. Website visited in October 2018
- 11.Ribeiro, MS, Vasconcelos RP, Vieira RK, Vieira AK, Bittencourt E, Ribeiro RAS (2009) Building of a sustainable ecological village in the Amazon-related projects and activities. Chem Eng Trans 17:343–348Google Scholar
- 12.Quintero-Dávila M, Monteiro SN, Colorado HA (2018) Composites of Portland cement and fibers of Guadua angustifolia Kunth from Colombia. J Compos Mater. 0021998318792297Google Scholar
- 13.Baptiste B, Pinedo-Vasquez M, Gutierrez-Velez VH, Andrade GI, Vieira P, Estupiñán-Suárez LM, Londoño MC, Laurance W, Lee TM (2016) Greening peace in Colombia. Forest 1990(2012)Google Scholar