Equilibrium and Inefficiency in Multi-product Cournot Games
We consider multi-product (m products) Cournot games played by n firms where products are substitutable goods. Such games can arise in network markets and in general is motivated by markets with differentiated goods and differing producer costs that can be arbitrary, especially due to subsidies. We provide strongly polynomial algorithms for computing the Nash equilibrium for Cournot games with quadratic utility functions. To study the inefficiency, we provide a characterization of Nash equilibrium in multi-product oligopolies with concave utilities and uniform substitutability in terms of games with quadratic utilities. We show that the Price of Anarchy in these games is bounded below by 2/3.
The research was supported in part by NSF grant: CCF-1451574.
- 3.Bradley, T.: Does t-mobile Binge On violate net neutrality? (2016). https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2016/01/08/does-t-mobile-binge-on-violate-net-neutrality/#2d501fe35312
- 5.Deneckere, R., Kovenock, D.: Direct demand-based Cournot existence and uniqueness conditions. Technical report, Purdue University, mimeo (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Farrell, J., Shapiro, C.: Horizontal mergers: an equilibrium analysis. Am. Econ. Rev. 80, 107–126 (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Granados, N.: Binge away: AT&T launches HBO bundle, going head-to-head with t-mobile-netflix plan (2017). https://www.forbes.com/sites/nelsongranados/2017/09/15/binge-away-att-responds-to-t-mobile-netflix-plan-with-unlimited-hbo-streaming/#3ace339b18fe
- 12.Hota, M., Kapoor, S.: Equilibrium and inefficiency in multi-product Cournot games. https://science.iit.edu/~kapoor/papers/multiproductcournot.pdf
- 14.Joe-Wong, C., Ha, S., Chiang, M.: Sponsoring mobile data: an economic analysis of the impact on users and content providers. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, Infocom 2015, pp. 1499–1507. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Johari, R.: Efficiency loss in market mechanisms for resource allocation. Ph.D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Johari, R., Tsitsiklis, J.N.: Efficiency loss in Cournot games. Harvard University (2005)Google Scholar
- 23.Okuguchi, K., Szidarovszky, F.: On the existence and computation of equilibrium points for an oligopoly game with multi-product firms. Annales, Univ. Sci. bud. Roi. Fotvos Nom (1985)Google Scholar
- 27.Timmermans, V., Harks, T.: Equilibrium computation in resource allocation games. arXiv preprint arXiv:1612.00190 (2016)
- 30.Vives, X.: Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools. MIT Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar