Introduction to Data
Part of the Studies in Big Data book series (SBD, volume 50)
This chapter briefly provides an introduction to big data as well as deals with some of the most common misconceptions in the field.
- Baah, G. K., Gray, A., Harrold, M. J. (2006). Online anomaly detection of deployed software: A statistical machine learning approach. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Software Quality Assurance, 70–77.Google Scholar
- Barton, D., & Court, D. (2012). Making advanced analytics work for you. Harvard Business Review, 90(10), 78–83.Google Scholar
- Brynjolfsson, E., Hitt, L. M., & Kim, H. H. (2011). Strength in numbers: How does data-driven decision making affect firm performance?. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1819486.
- Carter, P. (2011). Big data analytics: Future architectures, skills and roadmaps for the CIO. IDC White Paper, Retrieved from http://www.sas.com/resources/asset/BigDataAnalytics-FutureArchitectures-Skills-RoadmapsfortheCIO.pdf.
- Chen, M., Mao, S., Zhang, Y., Leung, V.C. (2014). Big data: Related technologies, challenges and future prospects, SpringerBriefs in Computer Science, 59.Google Scholar
- Coase, R. H. (2012). Essays on economics and economists, University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Corea, F. (2016). Big data analytics: A management perspective. Studies Series in Big Data, 21. Springer International Publishing.Google Scholar
- Driscoll, M. E. (2010, Dec. 20). How much data is “Big Data”?, [Msg 2]. Message posted to https://www.quora.com/How-much-data-is-Big-Data.
- Harford, T. (2014). Big data: Are we making a big mistake? Financial Times. Retrieved from http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/21a6e7d8-b479-11e3-a09a-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2xcdlP1zZ.
- IBM (2013). The four V’s of big data. Retrieved from http://www.ibmbigdatahub.com/infographic/four-vs-big-data.
- Laney, D. (2001). 3D data management: Controlling data volume, velocity, and variety. META group Inc. https://blogs.gartner.com/doug-laney/files/2012/01/ad949-3D-Data-Management-Controlling-Data-Volume-Velocity-and-Variety.pdf. Accessed on Oct 27, 2015.
- Mach-Król, M., Olszak, C. M., Pełech-Pilichowski, T. (2015). Advances in ICT for business, industry and public sector. Studies in Computational Intelligence. Springer, 200 pages.Google Scholar
- Marchand, D., & Peppard, J. (2013). Why IT fumbles analytics. Harvard Business Review, 91(1/2), 104–113.Google Scholar
- Marr, B. (2015). Big data: Using SMART big data, analytics and metrics to make better decisions and improve performance. Wiley, 256 pages.Google Scholar
- Mayer-Schönberger, V., Cukier, K. (2013). Big data: A revolution that will transform how we live, work, and think. Eamon Dolan/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.Google Scholar
- McAfee, A., & Brynjolfsson, E. (2012). Big data: The management revolution. Harvard Business Review, 90(10), 60–66.Google Scholar
- Miller, K. (2012a). Leveraging social media for biomedical research: How social media sites are rapidly doing unique research on large cohorts. Biomedical Computation Review (available at http://biomedicalcomputationreview.org/content/leveraging-social-media-biomedical-research. Accessed October 27, 2015).
- Miller, K. (2012b). Big data analytics in biomedical research. Biomedical Computation Review (available at https://biomedicalcomputationreview.org/content/big-data-analytics-biomedical-research. Accessed October 27, 2015).
- Moeng, M., Melhem, R. (2010). Applying statistical machine learning to multicore voltage and frequency scaling. In Proceedings of the 7th ACM international conference on Computing frontiers, 277–286.Google Scholar
- Morabito, V. (2015). Big data and analytics: Strategic and organizational impacts. Springer International Publishing, 183 pages.Google Scholar
- Silver, N. (2013). The signal and the noise: The art and science of prediction. Penguin.Google Scholar
- Varian, H. (2013). Beyond big data. NABE annual meeting, San Francisco, CA, September 10th, 2013.Google Scholar
- Veldhoen, A., De Prins, S. (2014). Applying big data to risk management. Avantage Reply Report, 1–14.Google Scholar
- Wielki, J. (2013). Implementation of the Big Data concept in organizations—possibilities, impediments, and challenges. In Proceedings of the 2013 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, 985– 989.Google Scholar
© Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019