Throwing Bottles at God: Predictive Text as a Game Mechanic in an AI-Based Narrative Game
We present Throwing Bottles at God, an experimental interactive narrative game that makes use of a predictive text writing interface as both a game mechanic and a means by which to deliver narrative content. The player steps into the role of @dril, a well-known pseudonymous social media personality with a distinctive writing style, and authors short snippets of text while receiving suggestions from the game as to which word @dril might use next – suggestions supported by word pair frequency data extracted from the corpus of all existing tweets by the actual @dril. The game represents a first attempt to use AI-based game design to heighten the player’s awareness of AI algorithms, specifically predictive text algorithms, as they play a role in the player’s day-to-day life. It also blurs the line between player-authored and developer-authored narrative content by inviting players to freely mix snippets of developer-authored text into their own in-game social media posts as they compose them, resulting in player-assembled messages that embed sequences of words drawn both from an external corpus (the @dril corpus) and from developer-authored narrative content.
KeywordsInteractive narrative design AI-based game design
- 1.Andersen, M., Nielbo, K.L., Schjoedt, U., Pfeiffer, T., Roepstorff, A., Sørensen, J.: Predictive minds in Ouija board sessions. Phenomenol. Cogn. Sci. 17(3), 1–12 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.@dril. https://twitter.com/dril. Accessed 21 Aug 2018
- 4.People are writing their own epitaphs using predictive text and they are pretty profound. https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/people-are-writing-their-own-epitaphs-using-predictive-text-and-they-are-pretty-profound-36452010.html. Accessed 24 Sept 2018
- 6.Treanor, M., et al.: AI-based game design patterns. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Foundations of Digital Games, FDG (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.What Does Predictive Text Do? People On Twitter Are Using Predictive Text To Write The Story Of Their Lives, & The Results Are Equal Parts Poetic & Bizarre. https://www.bustle.com/p/what-does-predictive-text-do-people-on-twitter-are-using-predictive-text-to-write-the-story-of-their-lives-the-results-are-equal-parts-poetic-bizarre-3226156. Accessed 24 Sept 2018