Risk Management of Critical Logistical Infrastructures: Securing the Basis for Effective and Efficient Supply Chains
To establish both effective and efficient supply chains, not only planning, controlling, and monitoring of material, information, and financial flows are necessary, but also the logistical infrastructure must be available and in an appropriate condition for all required processes. However, in the recent past, various events led to a limitation—or even to a breakdown—of the logistical infrastructure. These often unanticipated events—ranging from natural catastrophes such as an earthquake, to political crises such as in Eastern Ukraine, to terror attacks—might have a tremendous impact on supply chains. However, in supply chain risk management, the explicit consideration of risks for the logistical infrastructure is often ignored. We therefore focus on the critical logistical infrastructure and develop an evaluation approach for decision makers to support them in channeling risk management activities. The evaluation considers how the limitation or breakdown of any element of the logistical network influences all supply chains that use the network. By calculating risk-induced costs for the supply chains, implications of risk can be quantified and used as a basis for decision making.
- Abarez (2016). Artsakh determined to open Stepenakert airport for ‘people’s right to free movement, http://asbarez.com/141373/artsakh-determined-to-open-stepanakert-airport-for-peoples-right-to-free-movement/.
- Adar, E., & Wuchner, A. (2005). Risk management for critical infrastructure protection (CIP) challenges, best practices & tools. In First IEEE International Workshop on Critical Infrastructure Protection.Google Scholar
- Alderson, D. L., Brown, G. G., Carlyle, W. M., & Wood, R. K. (2011). Solving defender-attacker-defender models for infrastructure defense. In K. Wood & R. Dell (Eds.), Operations research, computing and homeland defense (pp. 28–49). Hannover, MD: Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences.Google Scholar
- Avritzer, A., Di Giandomenico, F., Remke, A., & Riedl, M. (2012). Assessing dependability and resilience in critical infrastructures: challenges and opportunities. In K. Walter, A. Avritzer, M. Vieira & A. V. Moorsel (Eds.), Resilience assessment and evaluation of computing systems (pp. 41–63). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Breakbulk (2016). G20 Summit impacts Hangzhou logistics. http://www.breakbulk.com/g20-summit-impacts-hangzhou-logistics/.
- Brown, G. G., Carlyle, W. M., Salmeron, J., & Wood, K. (2005). Analyzing the vulnerability of critical infrastructure to attack and planning defenses. In H. Greenberg & J. Smith (Eds.), INFORMS tutorials in operations research (pp. 102–123). Hannover, MD: Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences.Google Scholar
- Bumgarner, J., & Borg, S. (2009). Overview by the US-CCU of the Cyber campaign against Georgia in August of 2008. US-CCU Special Report.Google Scholar
- Cardona, O. D. (2004). The need for rethinking the concepts of vulnerability and risk from a holistic perspective: A necessary review and criticism for effective risk management. In G. Bankoff, G. Frerks, & D. Hilhorst (Eds.), Mapping vulnerability: Disasters, development and people (p. 17). London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- CNN (2003). Ohio trucker joined al Qaeda Jihad. http://edition.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/19/alqaeda.plea/.
- Collier, S., & Lakoff, A. (2008). The vulnerability of vital systems: How ‘critical infrastructure’ became a security problem. In: M. Dunn & K. Soby (Eds.), Securing the homeland: Critical infrastructure, risk and security (pp. 40–62). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- DB Schenker China (2015). Explosions in industrial area in Tianjin impacts port operations. http://www.dbschenker.com.cn/log-cn-en/news_media/news/9842348/explosion_in_tianjin.html.
- Harris, T. E., & Ross, F. S. (1955). Fundamentals of a method for evaluating rail net capacities (No. RM-1573). Santa Monica, USA: RAND CORP.Google Scholar
- Heinrici, T. (2017). Rheintalbahn ab 2. Oktober wieder frei. https://www.dvz.de/rubriken/land/schiene/single-view/nachricht/rheintalbahn-ab-2-oktober-wieder-frei.html.
- Heusch, P. (2016). Streik und Straßenblockaden legen Teile des Landes lahm. http://www.swp.de/ulm/nachrichten/politik/streik-und-strassenblockaden-legen-teile-des-landes-lahm-13020619.html.
- Holzmann, R., Sherburne-Benz, L., & Tesliuc, E. (2003). Social risk management: The World Bank’s approach to social protection in a globalizing world. Washington DC, USA: World Bank.Google Scholar
- Jackson, C. M. (2013). Estonian cyber policy after the 2007 attacks: Drivers of change and factors for success. New Voices in Public Policy, 7(1).Google Scholar
- McKenzie, S. (2016). Brussels travel: Flights suspended, transit limited. http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/22/europe/brussels-explosions-transport-flights-metro-suspended/.
- Morley, N. (2013). Bold plan to regenerate derelict Nicosia airport. http://cyprus-mail.com/2013/09/22/bold-plan-to-regenerate-derelict-nicosia-airport/.
- Page, P. (2015). Nepal earthquake response challenges logistics experts. http://www.wsj.com/articles/nepal-earthquake-response-challenges-logistics-experts-1430343036.
- Penn, A. B. (2010). The Virgin Islands climate change green paper. Conservation and Fisheries Department and Ministry of Natural Resources and Labour.Google Scholar
- President’s Commission on Critical Infrastructure Protection (1997). Critical Foundations—Protecting America’s Infrastructures. https://fas.org/sgp/library/pccip.pdf.
- Randelhoff, M. (2010). Eyjafjallajökull—Die Auswirkungen in Europa und der ganzen Welt. http://www.zukunft-mobilitaet.net/849/analyse/eyjafjallajoekull-fazit-schaden-flugverkehr-global/.
- Schlesiger, C. (2017). 75 Millionen Euro Umsatzverlust wegen Rastatt-Sperrung. http://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/dienstleister/deutsche-bahn-75-millionen-euro-umsatzverlust-wegen-rastatt-sperrung/20477114.html.
- Schrijver, A. (2002). Combinatorial optimization: Polyhedra and efficiency (24th ed.) (pp. 166–169). Heidelberg: Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- Sottilotta, C. E. (2013). Political risk: Concepts, definitions. Challenge. Working Paper Series. LUISS School of Government.Google Scholar
- Stock, J. (2017). United Nations Security Council open debate on the protection of critical infrastructure against terrorist attacks. Statement by Interpol. https://www.interpol.int/content/download/34261/450506/version/1/file/Statement%20by%20Secretary%20General%20to%20the%20UNSC.pdf.
- Turner, C. (2015). Eurotunnel warns of lengthy delays due to ‘migrant activity’. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11762469/Eurotunnel-suspends-passenger-services-because-of-migrant-activity-in-Calais.html.
- Ukraine Today (2015). Cyborgs vs. Kremlin. http://cyborgs.uatoday.tv/.
- US PIRG Education Fund (2009). Private roads, public costs. http://www.uspirg.org/sites/pirg/files/reports/Private-Roads-Public-Costs-Updated_1.pdf.
- Uysal, O. (2014). 10 things to know about baku-Tbilisi-Kars Railway Project. https://railturkey.org/2014/10/20/baku-tblisi-kars-railway/.
- Watson, L. (2014). Inside the ruins of Gaza’s airport. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2730465/Inside-ruins-Gaza-s-airport-Photographs-transport-hub-named-honour-Yasser-Arafat-open-just-three-years-destroyed-neglect-war.html.
- Wollmer, R. D. (1963). Some methods for determining the most vital link in a railway network. RAND Memorandum, RM-3321-ISA.Google Scholar
- Zaman, A. (2016). U.S. air strikes destroy last Euphrates bridges in Deir Ez Zor. https://en.zamanalwsl.net/news/18649.html.