Sailmast Setup for a Wind Wheeled Robot
The model of a wheeled vehicle propelled by wind using a rigid sail is presented. The vehicle nonlinear dynamic model is expressed in a compact matrix form, starting from the equations of motion. The full three-dimensional regulation of the sail is considered, including trim, heel and rake angle. Simulations are included showing the impact of the sail control input on the vehicle performance.
KeywordsWind-powered robot Nonlinear dynamic modelling Sail regulation
- 1.Dugoff, H., Fancher, P., Segal, L.: Tire performance characteristics affecting vehicle response to steering and braking control inputs. Final report, Contract CST-460, Office of Vehicle Systems Research, US National Bureau of Standards (1969)Google Scholar
- 2.Foglia, M., Reina, G., Boschetti, G.: Wind propulsion for robot surface mobility. In: Advances in Italian Mechanism Science, pp. 363–370. Springer, Cham (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.NALSA: North American Land Sailing Association (2017). http://www.nalsa.org/index.htm
- 4.Reina, G., Foglia, M.: On wind-driven land vehicles. In: ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, pp. 1–8 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Reina, G., Foglia, M.: Modelling and handling dynamics of a wind-driven vehicle. Vehicle System Dynamics (2018, in press). https://doi.org/10.1080/00423114.2018.1479529