Handwheelchair.q: Innovative Manual Wheelchair for Sport
In this paper the development of an innovative system of propulsion for manual wheelchair is described. It can be applied to sports wheelchairs and to wheelchair employed in everyday life. Regarding sports wheelchair, the use of this system of propulsion for racing wheelchair and hand bike is shown. The innovative system of propulsion tries to solve the injuries on the upper limb, caused by the other manual system of propulsion: push-rim system and levers system, employing traction movement applied on a cable transmission and ratchet device. The paper describes the functional design of different solutions, identifying the main involved parameters. In addition, the first prototype of wheelchair for everyday life is described and tested.
KeywordsDisabled sports Paralympic games Manual wheelchair
- 1.Lewis, A.R., Phillips, E.J., Robertson, W.S.P., Grimshaw, P.N., Portus, M.: Injury prevention of elite wheelchair racing athletes using simulation approaches. In: 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association, Brisbane, vol. 2, p. 255 (2018)Google Scholar
- 2.Cooper, R.A., De Luigi, A.J.: Adaptive sports technology and biomechanics: wheelchairs. Paralympic Sports Med. Sci. 6, 31–39 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Quaglia, G., Franco, W., Nisi, M.: Design of a reconfiguration mechanism for an electric stair-climbing wheelchair. In: ASME IMECE2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, vol. 4A, p. V04AT04A022 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Quaglia, G., Bonisoli, E., Cavallone, P.: A proposal of alternative propulsion system for manual wheelchair. Int. J. Mech. Control 19(01), 33–38 (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.International Paralympic Committee: Explanatory guide to Paralympic classification, Paralympic summer sports. www.paralympic.org/sites/default/files/document/150915170806821_2015_09_15%2BExplanatory%2Bguide%2BClassification_summer%2BFINAL%2B_5.pdf. Accessed 24 May 2018