Power Transmission and Mechanisms of an Old Water Mill
For hundreds of years, millstones, hammers, sawmills, spinning mills have been powered by water wheels. Recently, there is a renewed interest in their use, both for their widespread diffusion in the territory, and for the excellent environmental integration. In the paper, the mechanical architecture of an old water mill, from water wheels to millstones, is described and the functional details of various mechanisms are provided.
KeywordsWater wheel Water mill Bevel gear Wooden teeth gear History of mechanism and machine science
Authors would like to thank the Cavanna family, owner of the mill, for their willingness, Davide Massucco for having carried out the survey of the mill and Paolo Cavagnero for some pictures. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant agreement “ECO.G.U.S” (#701914).
- 1.Singer, C.: A History of Technology. Oxford Clarendon Press, Oxford (1954)Google Scholar
- 2.Rossi, C., Russo, F., Resta, F.: Hydraulic motors. Hist. Mech. Mach. Sci. 8, 81–96 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Chierici, P.: Fabbriche, Opifici, Testimonianze del lavoro. Storia e fonti materiali per un censimento in provincia di Cuneo, Celid (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Olivero, R.: Macchine ad acqua. Mulini in Valle Maira, I libri della Bussola (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Nuernbergk, D.M.: “Overshot water wheels - Calculation and Design”, Verlag Moritz Schafer Detmold (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Williams, A., Bromley, P.: New ideas for old technology-experiments with an overshot waterwheel and implications for the drive system. In: International Conference of Gearing, Transmission and Mechanical System, pp. 781–790 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Quaranta, E., Müller, G., Butera, I., Capecchi, L., Franco, W.: Preliminary investigation of an innovative power take off for low speed water wheels. In: International IAHR Conference, New Challenges in Hydraulic Research and Engineering, Trento, 12–14 June 2018Google Scholar
- 10.Norton, R.L.: Design of Machinery: An Introduction to Synthesis and Analysis of Mechanisms and Machines. McGraw Hill, Boston (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Juvinall, R.C., Marshek, K.M.: Fundamental of Machine Component Design. Wiley, New York (2012)Google Scholar